Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In-desk basketball hoop - salt corroded the pole: replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question In-desk basketball hoop - salt corroded the pole: replacement?

I have a basketball set that fits into a hole in my cool deck. Since I have a salt pool, it has corroded through the metal on the pole that holds up the backboard. I'm trying to find a replacement, but for the life of me, I am unable to. Nothing at Home Depot. Doesn't need to be specific to this - just a hollow steel or galvanized metal tube that has a diameter of ~3.5" and a length of about 36".

Any suggestions?

My pool:
    89' perimeter, 15,150 gallons, depth: 3x5x4
    Hayward C5025 w/Hayward 2HP tri-star pump, 2" PVC piping
    Goldline Pro Logic P4 w/salt system and Aqua Pod wireless remote
    Magnasweep in-floor cleaning system
    Pebbletec Caribbean blue
    Grotto w/waterfall and rock slide
    Play-step w/water feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In-desk basketball hoop - salt corroded the pole: replacement?

Have you though about using PVC pipe? Perhaps a 3" PVC pipe (close to 3.5" OD) would do the trick. Could fill with ready-mix concrete to make more rigid, but that still may not handle the weight, depending on the set. Otherwise I'd call a local plumber or machine shop to see if they could get you a piece of appropriate size piping.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: In-desk basketball hoop - salt corroded the pole: replacement?

Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd