Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter sand help...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter sand help...

I recently renovated my pool pad and now I need to fill the sand filter with new sand. I found some at Home Depot but wasnt sure if it is compatible with my filter. Can anyone give me some guidance/advice on this?

Here is my filter label

Here is the sand that I found
    Quikrete 50 lb. Pool Filter Sand-115350 - The Home Depot
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter sand help...

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What did you do with the sand you took out? There is no reason not to use it unless it was all stuck together by pool $tore magic potions.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I will take a look at that link.

I purchased the house last year and have no clue what all the sand has been thru. I dump it all out with plans to replace it so I know what I am working with.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Oh that's a bummer. But it is what it is. That link should prove helpful.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Agree.. With the amount of things I have found with this pool from the previous owner I would not be surprised if it had play sand in it. I do know I would get little patches of sand in the pool last year. I figured one of my laterals was broke. It all looked good once I got all the sand out. After reading the above post I think I will stay away from the Quikrete and go with the HTH. Just hope someone local has it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Last year I had some white beach looking kind of sand now I have the hth brand. Always had sand in the bottom of my pool.

May/2018 AGP Coleman 24x52 vinyl, 13.6k gallons, Harris H1572228 Vortex 16 inch Above Ground Sand Filter System with 3/4 HP Pump, PoolBlaster Max, TF-100

Run pump 24/7