aquarite check salt inspect cell blinking

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
My friend has an aquarite salt generator. It is flashing check salt and inspect cell. From reading a little it appears that inspect cell is some type of nag alert like in a car when change oil comes on. Can anyone confirm? We did pull out the cell and it has a little bit of scale, very minor I would say and I don't want him to start cleaning it if not necessary. The salt is a little low at 2600 he is going to add more.

This is about exactly where I was yesterday.. 2600ppm. I added 120 lbs salt to bring it up to 3400ppm, which is a little bit on the low end of the range. My pool guy says he cleaned the cell when he was out last Monday (3/27/17) and that he reset the controller so that it shouldn't be flashing right now. I just sent him a text, as he comes out today, asking him if he reset it last week and he said he did but it takes a day or so to stabilize. It is a week later now and still flashing plus he didn't salt the pool last week saying he wanted to let it run after cleaning before adding salt to see if it comes up. REALLY? The cell is in no way going to change the salt level in the pool, is it?

Also, in his response today he said he likes to add salt slowly (whatever that means) and that the read out on the AquaRite is often wrong so he's bringing out an "independent salt tester".. Shouldn't he be bringing that every week or at least once a month?

I've been reading the TFT pages on chemical testing and I have a $10 off coupon for TFTestKits from signing up to this site. I used to maintain my dad's pool back in the day and know how to do it. I'm about ready to fire this guy TODAY because I see on my newly installed security cams that he's there about 10 minutes a week and charges my $105 a month PLUS $70 to clean the filters 3 to 4 times a year and another $50 to clean the salt cell 4 times a year. I've cleaned DE filters before and it isn't that difficult to do, just a little bit of a PITA and takes a couple of hours of my time. I see that cleaning the salt cell is not very hard either. I've been paying him for the convenience but lately it seems that I have to intervene way too much and it really isn't all that convenient..

Anyway, does the digital readout report erroneous salt concentration? I really can't see it being off by more than 100ppm, the accuracy of the readout, but could I be wrong?

Is there any other reason a freshly cleaned salt cell would be flashing the "Check Cell" LED other than the controller not being reset after cleaning it? This answer seems very suspect to me.

TIA

A scaled up cell might report an incorrect salt level.

Before adding salt to any pool a salinity test should be done to make sure the SWG is reading the proper salinity level. When cells get old a good portion of them will read low salt but it is actually in range.

Most salt tests are good for only +- 400 ppm of accuracy including the SWG. What is important is the SWG is happy.

Read a manual on how to reset the check cell, it requires a button to be pushed for several seconds to reset it.

No comment on your pool service, all the information you would ever need to care for your pool is here at TFP!

A scaled up cell might report an incorrect salt level.

Before adding salt to any pool a salinity test should be done to make sure the SWG is reading the proper salinity level. When cells get old a good portion of them will read low salt but it is actually in range.

Most salt tests are good for only +- 400 ppm of accuracy including the SWG. What is important is the SWG is happy.

Read a manual on how to reset the check cell, it requires a button to be pushed for several seconds to reset it.

No comment on your pool service, all the information you would ever need to care for your pool is here at TFP!

Exactly!!

It was reading 2600ppm so even if it was reading low by 400ppm, that's 3000ppm which is still low. I added 120lbs salt and it is reading 3400ppm. If that is low by 400ppm then I am on target at 3800ppm already. My thoughts are that the reset button wasn't pushed last week or he didn't clean the cell like he said he did. The cell was installed new when the pool was converted to SWG in August 2014 when we bought the house. Our area has pretty hard water and maybe the cell is in need of replacement but that seems premature even now unless the cell has been cleaned with too strong an acid such that the precious metals have been burned out too soon?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.