dry acid or muratic acid

Neither dry acid or muriatic acid is available in the grocery store. However, muriatic acid is available at almost any hardware store. The brand doesn't matter, it will be labeled as muriatic acid. Ideally, you want 31.45%, also called 20 Baume, strength. Some stores sell lower strengths, which will work but you need proportionally more.

Muriatic acid is used for cleaning concrete and masonry, either to get them clean, or to remove mineral deposits, or as a prep for painting, and in swimming pools. At Home Depot I have seen it in the pool department, paint department, concrete department, and outside in the garden center (presumably because of the fumes when you spill some).

JasonLion said:
Neither dry acid or muriatic acid is available in the grocery store. However, muriatic acid is available at almost any hardware store. The brand doesn't matter, it will be labeled as muriatic acid. Ideally, you want 31.45%, also called 20 Baume, strength. Some stores sell lower strengths, which will work but you need proportionally more.

Come to Arizona, they sell Muriatic Acid in the grocery stores here. :-D

what y'all use so much of it for in Arazona?
I put some in & looks like it is bumping the ph down some already. how long before I can take a dip after putting that stuff in It is boxed & labeled just about like Battery Acid
Looks dangerious. when I used Baquil there was an acid that went in but they called it sanitizer.Same stuff?

LBTRS said:
JasonLion said:

Come to Arizona, they sell Muriatic Acid in the grocery stores here. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THETOOLMAN said:
what y'all use so much of it for in Arazona?
I put some in & looks like it is bumping the ph down some already. how long before I can take a dip after putting that stuff in It is boxed & labeled just about like Battery Acid
Looks dangerious. when I used Baquil there was an acid that went in but they called it sanitizer.Same stuff?
It doed require some respect when using it but is is really no more dangerous than many other household chemicals.
Baqaucil used biguinide (PHMB) as the sanitizer and hydrogen peroxide as the oxidizer. Lowering pH in a biguanide pool is done with either muriatic acid or dry acid so it's exactly the same!

Many things we put in pools are acids (such as chlorine stabilzer, dichlor, trichlor, ascorbic acid) but for pH adjustment we need what is known chemically as a 'strong acid' (one that dissociates completely) and the most common ones used in pools are muriatic (hydrochloric acid), sulfuric acid, and sodium bisulfate (dry acid) which forms sulfuric acid when dissolved in water.
IMHO, muriatic has the fewest side effects on water balance since it does not add sulfates to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.