Cloudy pool after start up

Apr 2, 2017
Illinois
Hello I found this website last year in November and it has helped me a lot with the little bit I was able to accomplish. I've had the pool now for 4 year and have been able to get in for about 6 months combined. This year we are changing that but I've had some issues starting up the pool. I had Black algae last November because of the pool house becoming storage shed for about 2 years and not being able to touch the pool. I finally got that under control and then December rolled around. It got to cold to heat anymore at least economically with the hard wood I spent all year splitting. I opened the pool 3 days ago to find it green. I started cleaning and it isn't green anymore but it is so cloudy that I can't see the bottom from 30 ft away.

The tests I just ran tonight.

FC - 11
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 120
CH - 250
CYA - 0 (I took the sample in and let it get to room temp because the water is 56F. I filled to the top of the tube and it was like looking in a glass of water.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I way over committed to my wife to have the pool swim worthy and heated by Saturday.

Welcome to the TFP, your one stop shop to have that pool party ready to go on Saturday. Need to get some CYA in there. How is your filter pressure looking? How are you chlorinating?

- - - Updated - - -

May want to consider adding some DE for better filtration. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Did you put anything into the water 3 day ago such as CalHypo? That can cloud water up.

Otherwise it does take more than a few days to clean up a green swamp... so perhaps its just the algae dying off and clouding things.

Are you using only liquid chlorine??? You know the SLAM procedure, right?? SLAM Process

Welcome spyder,

We can show you how to stay in the pool as much as you want from here, and not go through this any more. As mentioned, you will need to SLAM the pool. Don't plan on swimming by Saturday, as it may not happen, sorry. Are you familiar with Pool School? Hit the ABCs first.

Follow SLAM procedure to the letter, and ask for help on the forum if you need it. Someone will be here to help you. Good luck on your clearing, and keep us posted.

I'm using bleach and trying to follow the SLAM process. I missed yesterday's vacuuming because of work. I tested this morning when I woke up and the FC - 11, CC - 0, PH - 7.2. I was a little high on the original addition of the bleach. I dropped an extra bottle in when I originally added it on Friday. The chlorine was at fc - 12 when I started. I had a CC - 1 on Friday. I generally don't lose Chlorine because the pool doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. I end up buying a lot of hydrogen peroxide when I have to drop the FC.

Did you add CYA? If so how much?

There is no need to add hydrogen peroxide, it is safe to swim up to SLAM level (which, you are way over if you still have 0 CYA).

I had to order some I apparently ran out last year and the 1 store around me doesn't have any in stock. I will get it Wednesday so I will be able to update you on the CYA then. I also order a new gaskets for the top of the filter because when I moved to back flush water came out the top. My filter is running at 25 PSI which it always has since I bought the house. I guess my other question is should I replace the sand inside or check inside since I don't think it has ever been changed and I don't know when it was bought? I have to take apart the top anyway to replace the gaskets.

Since you were/are SLAMing, you aren't done since your water is not clear yet, which is criteria #3. Since you are going to be in the sand filter anyways, you should consider doing a deep clean as outlined here Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I don't have a sand filter, but according to this Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters you must have the filter off when changing the position of the main valve.

Maybe someone else could weigh in here, but I still don't see why you couldn't deep clean your sand then add DE to help it filter.

Check your Sand when you have it open. There is no reason to replace it unless it is clumped up and stuck together from mineral or other deposits which is not common. Otherwise, it is a great idea to do a deep clean of it as posted in the link above. Follow that procedure if the sand seems ok when you swap the gasket, or whenever. Analogbytes is correct about the SLAM, and has posted the links for you. Let us know how else we may help.

I turn it off before changing the position of the filter. I was a little worried about trying the deep clean on the filter because it is indoors and I don't want my basement flooding. The filter room for the pool house is connected to my house basement with the house breaker box on the other side of the wall and right below where all the water would come through. Not the best design in the world. I will attempt it this weekend. It isn't a before work or after work project. I'm continuing to slam the pool and see what it looks like tonight before I vacuum after work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.