Leaving cleaner in pool with cover on?

loveit

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2015
walla walla, wa
I'll be having my first pool installed, hopefully next month.
Our pool will be fiberglass, with some ledges and steps, as well as a hydramatic auto cover.

I have a couple of questions about selecting a pool cleaner. I do like the idea of the robots, but I'm not sure that the cords will be long enough and I don't like the idea of using an extension cord.

I would really like to be able to plug a cleaner into the already existing port in the pool, and IF possible, close the cover and let it do its thing for however long I leave it in there. Is this possible? Are there any robots that can operate under the pool cover without doing damage?

Also, are there any suction cleaners that are recommended that don't need booster pumps? We will have a 1hp whisperflo pump for the pool.

Congrats on the new pool and nice to meet you via TFP :)

You can leave the cord which runs from the power supply to the robot, entering the pool at the end that first opens when the autocover is opened. You might want to protect the cord if you think the wear is going to be a factor, but I doubt that. Another option is to put the robot in when the cover is open for airing the pool, or catching heat and UV from the sun.

I'm happy with my suction cleaner, which is no problem under a cover. I also look after two other pools, one with a suction cleaner that is left in all the time, and one with a robot. The advantage of the robot is that it's doing most of the brushing for you, a weekly chore that many people don't like. With the robot, you'll do about 5 minutes of brushing a week to touch up vs. 20 or 25 minutes to brush it all. Either type of cleaner works well on the 'dust' and sunken leaves/bugs/etc.

If it were me, I would only consider Pentair Warrior (Rebel), Hayward "The Pool Cleaner", or Zodiac MX6 or MX8, in that order, for suction cleaners. I would not recommend diaphragm type creepy thumper cleaners because of bad experience seeing them stuck in corners and I don't like the thumping noise. If connecting a suction cleaner via a dedicated vacuum port, I would use a leaf canister to keep crud out of the pipes. I'm with you on pressure cleaners and would not consider one either.

Here's a good thread on choice of robot, and talks about many models besides the one mentioned in the title: First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Not necessarily.... since you're still building, just have an outlet placed closer to the pool. Is your equipment pad going to be 40' away from the pool?? That's where many outlets get put. Or run one into a garden bed or place closer. Now is the time to do it.

Yippee :flower:

Thank you, needsajet, for those cleaner suggestions. I'll be looking into them.

If I understand correctly, the pool will have a dedicated vacuum port, but there won't be a booster pump. I'm wondering if that port will be able to use as-is or if there are any other things that have to be done in order for it to work...

- - - Updated - - -

The equipment pad will most likely be way over 40' away. It is possible we may add an electrical outlet closer to the pool, and the robots do seem really nice, but I'd like to try out a suction cleaner first.

The dedicated vacuum port will be plumbed into the suction side of your plumbing. When they finish the pool, they'll put a fitting on it that keeps it closed unless the vacuum is plugged in. Ask them how they plan to valve it, because it's nice to be able to fine-tune the flow from skimmer vs. vacuum port (and main drain if one is planned).

And yep, good idea to get an outlet closer to the pool for future and for convenience, while everything is getting dug up anyway :)

Ok. So I've been looking into these cleaners and believe I've narrowed it down to the following: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Warrior, The Pool Cleaner, and Kreepy Krauly Great White.

Given the pump information I have (1hp Whisperflo (not variable speed), would cleaners such as these be able to function properly AND allow the skimmer to function, withOUT having to have a booster pump? And if so, then my next question...would cleaners such as these be able to be adjusted to where they can clean under a cover (Not go too high, etc.).

I can't speak for the great white, but the answer is yes and yes for the other two. They come with an adjuster so that you can set the flow. You mentioned having a dedicated vacuum port. Be sure that line is plumbed all the way back to the equipment pad. You will then have a separate line for the skimmer and one for the cleaner (and possibly a third for your main drain). The lines need to be valved so you can adjust the flow from each source any way you want. Use a leaf catcher on the cleaner hose to keep large stuff out of your pipes.

Keep in mind that with the cover closed, skimming won't be needed as much or at all if the surface is clean. If the cover rests on the water, skimming won't occur anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, we went with the Kreepy Krauly. I know someone who has one and absolutely loves it, no problems at all. Well, it didn't really work for us. So here I am....now ready to get a robotic cleaner. They did end up putting an outlet by the pool, also.

About the pool cover, it does rest on the surface of the water (would this matter for a robotic cleaner?) Also, the pool has these little ledges that you can stand or walk on along the sides if you needed to (I don't know the proper name for this). You can see in the picture that I found online. Would a robot go past that to continue cleaning the wall, or does it just depend on which robot it is?
viking-pools-rectangle-empress-3.jpg

Oh yeah, a robot is the way to go. My fiberglass pool also has that small ledge around the bottom and my robot climbs the wall over it just fine. It can only climb up a couple of stairs though. I can live with that.

Our cover doesn't interfere with the robot at all.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.