Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gradual slope vs drop-off on pool bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Gradual slope vs drop-off on pool bottom

If I want a pool that has a fairly deep end (8 feet) and also a shallow 4 foot end, can I do it without a slope?

I figured I can tell the pool builder to create a giant step off ledge and put reflective tile on the boundary as well a floating marker right above the drop off soe everybody knows where the ledge is.

Has anybody tried that approach instead of the normal slope type approach?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gradual slope vs drop-off on pool bottom

They build them with slopes for safety of either diving, or someone suddenly walking into the deep end.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I discussed and researched this as well but none of the pool builders I was talking to would do it. As Patrick said, it was a safety issue. Still a cool idea though. I don't think anyone actually uses a slope. It's just there.

18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

You aren't going to get a builder to do it because it isn't safe. Even the slope can "pull" you down surprisingly easily.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Code specifies a maximum slope from the shallow to the deep end of 1 foot drop for every 3 feet horizontal.
    Easytouch 8 automated 21.5K gal PebbleFina Sapphire Galaxy w/ Glo-Brited overflow spa, Intelliflo2 VST, CC520 Filter, IC40 SWG, 400K BTU NG Heat, Caretaker 8-port in-floor cleaner, Automatic cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot68 View Post
    On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?
    I think that would violate code as well. And be a pain to clean.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat