Gradual slope vs drop-off on pool bottom

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
If I want a pool that has a fairly deep end (8 feet) and also a shallow 4 foot end, can I do it without a slope?

I figured I can tell the pool builder to create a giant step off ledge and put reflective tile on the boundary as well a floating marker right above the drop off soe everybody knows where the ledge is.

Has anybody tried that approach instead of the normal slope type approach?

I discussed and researched this as well but none of the pool builders I was talking to would do it. As Patrick said, it was a safety issue. Still a cool idea though. I don't think anyone actually uses a slope. It's just there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You aren't going to get a builder to do it because it isn't safe. Even the slope can "pull" you down surprisingly easily.

Code specifies a maximum slope from the shallow to the deep end of 1 foot drop for every 3 feet horizontal.

On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?

On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?

I think that would violate code as well. And be a pain to clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.