Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on parts for hard plumbing project.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on parts for hard plumbing project.

Hello everyone. I need some advice as far as what to get to hard plumb our above ground pool. I know the basics, pvc pipe, elbows, unions, (combo union/shut off valve is what I plan on purchasing) adapters, etc... My issue comes from the solar heater we have connected currently. I have a couple of pics attached. The hoses look like spaghetti and the confusing part of how to plumb this for me is the "T" that has a hose coming from the heater, one from the filter and one to the return of the pool. I want to hard plumb everything except for two hoses, (one going to the solar heater and the return from the solar heater). The installers put the diverter valve in backwards so I will have to redo all of that. Thank you all in anticipation for all your advice. I need it for sure!

Here are the pics of my current mess

18'x33' Sharkline Harbortown AG, 16,700 Gal. 2HP 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump
    150 sq. ft cartridge filter. TF100 Test kit with Speedstir!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on parts for hard plumbing project.

What are you trying to accomplish with hard plumbing?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a hose blow last summer on Labor Day weekend and do not want that to happen again. If I can isolate the heater and shut that off, I will be a happy camper.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just put a two way valve on the solar return and you will be able to completely isolate the solar. The other valve is for the solar supply which will allow you to isolate that side.

With that layout, there is little benefit to hard plumbing and less flexibility. Clamps and hose should hold well but how did it fail last time? Maybe better clamps would help.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Below is a picture of what happened last time. It did not occur at a joint. It was towards the middle of the hose that busted. The hose was less than 5 months old when this happened.