First time testing for first time pool owner

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I bought the TF-100 kit and ran all my first tests. I just bought a house with a pool and have never owned one before.

My tests results

1. cl/be test - 2.4
  2. PH test - between 7.5 and 7.8
  3. Free chlorine test - 1.5 ppm (3 drops)
  4. Combined Chlorines - 0
  5. Total Chlorine - 1.5 ppm
  6. Calcium hardness - 325 ppm
  7. Total Alkalinity - 110
  8. CYA tes - 50

I would love to get some feedback on how my levels look and what steps I should take.

Also I use the chlorine tablets and have read on this forum I should just use bleach from the grocery store. However, I am not sure how to do that. What bleach to by, how to test how much to put in etc.

tag,

You would be doing us a Huge favor, if the next time you report your levels, you would use the following simple format: It helps our old eyes... :D

FC - 1.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.5 and 7.8 ???
TA - 110
CH - 325
CYA - 50

So, your numbers look pretty good except your FC which is way too low.. See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock Your absolute lowest FC should be 4 ppm and you really need to keep FC around 8 or so.

You can use Liquid Chlorine or Bleach, the only difference is that Liquid Chlorine is usually about 12.5% and Bleach is about 8.25% in strength. If using bleach, use plain bleach, not scented or splash-less bleaches as they have additives you don't want in your pool.

Good job on getting a good test kit... :goodjob:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hiya Tag- a little quick reading to learn how to care for your pool:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Pool School - Recommended Levels

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Time to go raid the laundry room supply and get some bleach in there pronto! You can pour it slowly directly in front of a fast moving return. This helps move the bleach into the water quickly and mix. Careful not to splash your clothes or shoes, obviously. Your pool should be kept around 8ppm, so that during the daily loss of FC to the sun you still never go down below 4ppm.

For your sized pool, 44 ounces of regular 8.25% bleach will raise it 1ppm. Keep that number in your head for fast bleach additions in the future, but really you need to learn to use PoolMath as it will help guide you in additions/subtractions of all chemicals/water in your pool.

Yippee :flower:

I found TFP after about 9 years of having a pool, well my pool has never looked better and actually cost less in the height of the summer heat I'm at about $60 a month. The only thing I would suggest buy your chlorine from a pool supply I believe it's at about 12% and fresh. The big box stores I think is at 10% but most the time it's been sitting around. I don’t think the chlorine in the supper market is very concentrated. (Clorox/ bleach) I buy salt and muriatic acid at the big box stores HD commercial grade muriatic acid 31.4% strong stuff use caution.
I try to keep my chlorine at about 6. Only other advice I can give when entering your numbers in the pool math make sure your you have the right % for chemicals you use (chlorine & muriatic acid) so you know what to add. I should add if you do buy the commercial grade MA be really carful I use it for other things also that’s why I like it.

Thanks for the advice.

I added 140oz of bleach (no additives) and now I have

FC - 6

I then ran the K-1000 Basic test (0T) - I am not sure how to write it but;
CL BR - 5 10
PH - 7.8
'

I would suggest keeping 8ppm as your desired goal level so that even with the daily loss of aprox 2-3ppm you still are covered as per: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I wouldn't bother performing the K-1000 basic test for chlorine (ignore the Br thats for bromine pools which you don't have) and just do the pH with that. FC is higher than 5 so you know it won't read properly. Its handy though for times when you don't care what the FC number is but you just want to confirm that there *is* chlorine in there.....

Yip :flower:

I ran my tests again today and got

FC - 6
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 110
CH - 450
CYA - 40

It seems I should bring up myFC and PH a bit and bring down my calcium hardness a bit. CYA is at the low end as well.
FC
So I am going to add 44oz of bleach.
PH
I am going to add some Borax, but don't know how much. I do have spa jets and two waterfalls but i am only running the pump about 5-7 hours a day now so I would like to try the Borax
CH
I put in 25lbs of Hardness Plus from Leslies pool store two weeks ago, so that is probably why it is a bit high. Should i try to bring that down or just let it come down naturally?
CYA
is also a bit low. Not sure if I should do anything about that.

Could someone please give me some advice on the PH , CH and CYA.
Thanks

Tag, your numbers look fine! I just inputted the numbers into pool math and it says you're balanced and that your CSI is 0.26. I'd raise your FC to 8 just to cover the expected daily loss from the sun. That way you never go too low.

Your CH is on the top end of okay, it won't come down on its own unless you drain and refill. Just keep an eye on it. Don't raise your pH any more. If you want to drain/refill it by 22% it will bring it down to the 350 range and make your CSI 0.13. This is all shown in PoolMath, have you discovered this neat app yet? <at top of page>

You can raise your CYA another 10, but keep in mind that will also raise your FC requirements.

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the confirmation. I was not aware of PoolMath. I will go check it now.

I got in the pool today with my daughter. It was cold but nice to finally use my pool after taking care of it for three months and not being able to use it.

I will check out pool math now.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.