Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool/Spa water swaps

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool/Spa water swaps

I have a borate pool with SWG, and standalone spa with small, drop-in SWG. My normal practice has been to replace spa water with pool water, pumping spa into pool & vice versa. Simple and fast. I recently did some repairs to spa, and decided to start using spa frog bromine and mineral cartridges, along with new ozonator. Now I'm about to do another water swap.

My question: will I mess up pool chemistry with bromine & spa minerals? Maybe i need to pump spa into field and stop using bromine cartridge. I assume mineral cartridge will not hurt---contains silver chloride and calcium carbonate. Appreciate thoughts on this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool/Spa water swaps

DO NOT ADD that spa water to the pool. The silver isn't an issue but the bromine is. If you add bromine to a chlorine pool, the bromine will cause a constant FC demand because chlorine converts bromide (spent bromine) back into bromine. There is no way to separate the concentrations of bromine and chlorine in the pool as the DPD test simply measures total halogen concentration. It won't matter much at first given how much smaller the spa volume is BUT over time you'll just screw up your pool with the silver and bromine. Eventually silver can become a problem in a chlorine pool leading to scale and staining which is nearly impossible to remove.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool/Spa water swaps

Thanks. The bromine comes out---& this spa fill goes into the field!