Back Yard Theater

Jan 31, 2017
Sacramento, Ca
Well the 1st night of back yard movies turned out to be a big hit. I just got everything in from Amazon this weekend and it was supposed to be a trial run, but my daughter got excited and invited the whole neighborhood. Talk bout pressure. Luckily I got everything set up and working. Everyone had a blast. The kids watched "Sing" then after me and the wife watched "SW: The Force Awakens". Good times

Oh my gosh!! I need this! Beautiful pool.

So, with the projector, how far can it be from screen? I'm trying to figure out where I'd put it where it would not get splashed by water from the pool? Never mind, I just googled and discovered 'throw ratio' :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh my gosh!! I need this! Beautiful pool.

So, with the projector, how far can it be from screen? I'm trying to figure out where I'd put it where it would not get splashed by water from the pool? Never mind, I just googled and discovered 'throw ratio' :)

Actually use projector central. Search what model u want and it will tell you min to max screen size also if u don't want to do the math with throw ratios.

This is definitely something I'll be doing. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice grassy area inside our fence but we can set up chairs.

I'm finishing our basement and putting a projector down there. The projector I'm looking at is around $3k so I'm not sure I want to take that outside though. I may have to buy a 2nd one for outdoor use.

We rented one previously and watched a playoff hockey game on huge wall in our garage. Had the whole neighborhood over and it was great! Only cost $40 to rent for a whole week from Rent-a-Center.

has anyone had experience with some kind of projector setup in which the projector can come out of the ground rather than either (a) being permanently setup or (b) having to be torn up/down - outside of end of year closing stuff ?

...and no, not talking about blow up ones either

- - - Updated - - -

also, i dont want to hijack this thread, but i also didnt want to duplicate it in my own thread

Projectors are great for nighttime, but worthless for daytime.

Has anyone looked into recently utilizing a larg normal LCD tv (disposable prices at this point) and one of those protective enclosures?

the enclosures are still expensive, but i am wondering if that is still the best solution.

- - - Updated - - -

This is definitely something I'll be doing. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice grassy area inside our fence but we can set up chairs.

I'm finishing our basement and putting a projector down there. The projector I'm looking at is around $3k so I'm not sure I want to take that outside though. I may have to buy a 2nd one for outdoor use.

We rented one previously and watched a playoff hockey game on huge wall in our garage. Had the whole neighborhood over and it was great! Only cost $40 to rent for a whole week from Rent-a-Center.

fyi, spending $3k for a projector is overkill imo. I think you can get a good 1080p w/ lens shift for under 1k. if you want to spend money for 4k even though there is limited material, you could probably get a good one for $1500-$2200 at most. Not sure there even are $3k models?

It was my 1st time and took about 15 Min. Really straight forward and simple. Next time it will take bout 10 min.

Thanks,looks to be a nice screen,5 years ago when I did this I was going to go the PVC/conduit route and purchase a screen but with time looks like some co. got the idea to market.Plus no additional power cords to run for fan motors.
We are still in the 50's so no rush for me.:mad:

has anyone had experience with some kind of projector setup in which the projector can come out of the ground rather than either (a) being permanently setup or (b) having to be torn up/down - outside of end of year closing stuff ?

...and no, not talking about blow up ones either

- - - Updated - - -

also, i dont want to hijack this thread, but i also didnt want to duplicate it in my own thread

Projectors are great for nighttime, but worthless for daytime.

Has anyone looked into recently utilizing a larg normal LCD tv (disposable prices at this point) and one of those protective enclosures?

the enclosures are still expensive, but i am wondering if that is still the best solution.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi, spending $3k for a projector is overkill imo. I think you can get a good 1080p w/ lens shift for under 1k. if you want to spend money for 4k even though there is limited material, you could probably get a good one for $1500-$2200 at most. Not sure there even are $3k models?

the only true 4k projectors out right now are from sony. the line starts at 8 grnd and goes up to 60 grand. 2-3 models. there are other companies like barco which have true 4k chip solutions but again 40 grand plus. oh ya jvc has a 35 grand unit. again none of these would ever be used outdoors.

besides the sony all other 4k projectors are e-shift/ pixel remap setups which are 1080 chips. there are some awesome units out there though.

for outdoor 4k lens shift units aren't even needed. you will be sitting fr away and won't get any the benefit so pretty much grab a couple hundred dollar wonder and call it a day and you will have what you need for outdoor use.

jim

the only true 4k projectors out right now are from sony. the line starts at 8 grnd and goes up to 60 grand. 2-3 models. there are other companies like barco which have true 4k chip solutions but again 40 grand plus. oh ya jvc has a 35 grand unit. again none of these would ever be used outdoors.

besides the sony all other 4k projectors are e-shift/ pixel remap setups which are 1080 chips. there are some awesome units out there though.

for outdoor 4k lens shift units aren't even needed. you will be sitting fr away and won't get any the benefit so pretty much grab a couple hundred dollar wonder and call it a day and you will have what you need for outdoor use.

jim

Yup, what he said:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

That projector looks really close to the pool's edge - has it gone for a swim yet? How far are you throwing it across the pool? I think that is probably the best set up unless you can find something that does rear projection. I'd have to throw mine 20-30' I think.

That projector looks really close to the pool's edge - has it gone for a swim yet? How far are you throwing it across the pool? I think that is probably the best set up unless you can find something that does rear projection. I'd have to throw mine 20-30' I think.

It is right at the edge and very nerve racking with the little ones around. I think I was at 20 something ft. Its going back and I got a short throw rear projector on the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.