Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand coming out while backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand coming out while backwashing

We just purchased a used sand filter. Q: why is there tons of sand coming out of hose when backwashing? Very little water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand coming out while backwashing

Welcome to TFP!!!

Who installed the sand filter? What is the model number? How much sand was added?
    What type of backwash valve do you have?
    Can you post a picture of the plumbing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We installed. I'll get model number an name of manufacturer the backwash value you have to push down turn to slot and release and yes I will post a picture of the plumbing that me and my husband done not the greatest I guess we're trying the directions that came with the pump might as well be in another language other than English. Oh wait it does. Lol. because I don't understands it. Info on dials are nothing, basically nothing about pressure anything so we've been working on info from google we put a hundred and fifty pounds of sand in

4. Back To Top    #4

I just purchased a long backwash hose ,

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the filter size? You posted pictures of the multi-port valve and the pump stickers, but not the filter.

It looks plumbed correctly. Is there any way the top portion of the valve could have gotten clocked to the wrong position?

What sand did you use?

When did you see all the sand coming out, was it really in the backwash position? The picture is in the Rinse position.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Sand coming out while backwashing

Yes it was in the backwash position. An when u say what filter size is,that the container with the laterals in it other than that I don't know where any other filter would be. We purchased sand for it at a pool store they were 50lb a bags. An sand came out after we loaded it an filled it with water the first time an tried to backwash sand as the pool store told us to do before use on pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

The filter is the big tan thing

Did you avoid pouring sand into the central stand pipe?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

pink,

I do not own a sand filter, but would "assume" that after initially filling it with sand, that you would get a little sand in your first backwash.

How much sand came out and how long did you run it?

Have you tried it again?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The filter is the big tan thing

Did you avoid pouring sand into the central stand pipe?
    Yes there was a device to cover the hole.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    pink,

I do not own a sand filter, but would "assume" that after initially filling it with sand, that you would get a little sand in your first backwash.

How much sand came out and how long did you run it?

Have you tried it again?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Yes , I've tried it 3 times an the amount of sand was about 30 cups full at a good guess .after trying g 3 times we had to add more sand.

11. Back To Top    #11

Pink,

I'm with you... Something is wrong...

Maybe one of our members with a Sand Filter can chime in...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

12. Back To Top    #12

It is possible that you've over filled it with too much sand. If it's a model SD35 than it only needs 100lbs not 150. Anytime a sand filter has too much sand it will naturally expel the excess during backwash until it gets to around the correct filled level. When back washing all the sand is lifted and as this happens the dirt is displaced and lifted through the grid on the underside of the multiport. If theres too much sand the water pressure during back washing will force all that extra sand up higher and out to waste.

If it happens to be a SD40 then it does require 150lbs of sand and there is something seriously wrong with the multiport.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

13. Back To Top    #13

I think that the problem is probably due to the pump being oversized for the filter.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

14. Back To Top    #14

It was bought together in same box. So don't think that's problem. We are just going to start over take it apart an retry.. thank for all the questions ..

15. Back To Top    #15

IT'S A SD40 150 LBS OF SAND IS THE REQUIRED AMOUNT. THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTIONS. WE'RE JUST GOING TO START AS IF IT WAS NEW AN SEE IF THERE WAS A MISTAKE WITH ASSEMBLY, SENCE IT WAS USES WHEN WE GOT IT.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Pink,

I'm with you... Something is wrong...

Maybe one of our members with a Sand Filter can chime in...

Jim R.
    Yeah , there is .. we are going to start from ground 0..thz

17. Back To Top    #17

The backwash rate for that filter should be about 28.5 gpm. The pump can do about 80. The pump is 2.8 times too big for the filter.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

18. Back To Top    #18

Then why were they sold as one unit from SAM'S ? if motor is to big for filter. That makes no sence to me please explain so I can ask manufacturer

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

James has already explained the issue, the pump will push almost 3 times the amount of water that the filter can handle during backwash.

I can't explain why SAM's paired them together.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Okay thanks. Not sure why they would sell this an a unit , I'll have to talk to manufacturer see why that they're misleading their customers by selling improper products together thank you guys for your help have a good day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast