Most efficient way to heat pool natural gas?

Apr 2, 2017
Moab
Hello All,

I will add pool equipment info to sig soon. I have a quick question. I have an indoor fiberglass leisure reflection IG pool. Hayward 250K BTU pool heater automatic cover and high dollar dehumidifier (not fully fired yet waiting on manufacturer). We have the pump on a timer so the heater/ pump are not running from 9 PM to 8 AM. We have the heat set to 86. Is it better to leave the heater/ pump running or keep it on the timer as far as my heating bill would go? On the timer obviously it's not running for 11 hours but during that time heat goes down a bit. When it starts up has to reheat. I live in Moab, UT, wide range of temps, from 0 degrees in the winter to over 100 in the summer. Sorry for lack of explanation in my question but I think you know what I am asking.

pool.jpg

I agree with elwood......probably.

If the pool experiences long, vacant periods with no swimmers, gas is probably best. If you will be in the pool 3 times weekly or even more, then a heat pump might be your best bet. Either way, there are so many variables you cannot calculate it as precisely as you might like so just base your choice on how you use your nice pool. :eek:

Sorry to burst the bubble. You won't be able to put a heat pump on an indoor pool. Gas is the best way to heat an indoor pool. Do away with the timer get a superflo vs pump or something similar, set the lowest rpm you can to run the heater and let it run at that speed for maybe 20 hours a day then for 4 hours a day speed it up a little.

I read this differently guys. I don't think bripenn is asking about a heat pump at all. He has his heater and his pool pump on the same timer. It sounds to me like this is a discussion about pumping and heating schedules, heat loss and time to heat etc. as it all relates to efficiency.

Correct, from the research I did heat pump wasn't an option especially for the climate I am in and wanting a heated pool year round. Pumping and heating schedules is what I was after. Thanks, looks like I will have to do some research on the super-flo.

Sorry to burst the bubble. You won't be able to put a heat pump on an indoor pool. Gas is the best way to heat an indoor pool. Do away with the timer get a superflo vs pump or something similar, set the lowest rpm you can to run the heater and let it run at that speed for maybe 20 hours a day then for 4 hours a day speed it up a little.

I was not assuming a Heat Pump be installed indoors. It would have to sit outside.

I allow my pool to cool down during periods on non-use. (if I plan to be out of town for a wkd etc) I know the case has been made that cycling too often can be inefficient, but I schedule it carefully and indoor pools have the double hit of moisture mitigation, which is much higher when the water is warmed. I recently replaced my old single-speed pump with a SuperFlo. No regrets, but that introduced the possibility that the pump could cycle off while the heater has power. If the pressure switch fails, then so will my heater.

I'm still experimenting with speeds, duration and heat... When I want to bring the pool from cold to warm, I run the SuperFlo at 2800 RPM and set the timer for 24 hours. I make a point to shut the heater off at that point and control it manually to maintain heat.

2800 is a guess. The slower the speed, the more often my heater cycles off. At 3450 (top speed, same as the old pump), it's loud and consuming a LOT of power.

I allow my pool to cool down during periods on non-use. (if I plan to be out of town for a wkd etc) I know the case has been made that cycling too often can be inefficient, but I schedule it carefully and indoor pools have the double hit of moisture mitigation, which is much higher when the water is warmed. I recently replaced my old single-speed pump with a SuperFlo. No regrets, but that introduced the possibility that the pump could cycle off while the heater has power. If the pressure switch fails, then so will my heater.

I'm still experimenting with speeds, duration and heat... When I want to bring the pool from cold to warm, I run the SuperFlo at 2800 RPM and set the timer for 24 hours. I make a point to shut the heater off at that point and control it manually to maintain heat.

2800 is a guess. The slower the speed, the more often my heater cycles off. At 3450 (top speed, same as the old pump), it's loud and consuming a LOT of power.

Seems odd that your heater cycles off more often at lower pump speeds ... Unless the heated water doesnt mix as well in the pool when at low speed. And the intakes are near a heated return that is sensing JUST heated water.
I would think that about 1500 rpm would be plenty of water to use the heater and low enough RPM to keep noise and cost down ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.