Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Opening Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Opening Question

I have a 20', 52", above ground Intex pool with sand filter. The water has turned green over the winter. Should I drain the water and start over or should I add chlorine and work on clearing up the water that is in the pool? (I have a well)

My sand filter has been in operation for about two years. How do I know when it's time to replace the sand and if I try to treat and clean up the green water will that cause me to have to change out the sand much earlier than normal?
    20' Intex; 52" deep; 8,638 gal; above ground. Intex 1,600 GPH sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Green Opening Question

Sand in a filter has a lifespan of about 100,000 years so you should be good for now.

How green is the water? Pea soup? Just a tinge? What are your initial test results?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Sand in a filter has a lifespan of about 100,000 years so you should be good for now.

~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's pea soup. I'll test it shortly.
    20' Intex; 52" deep; 8,638 gal; above ground. Intex 1,600 GPH sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

How easy is it to pull 9K gallons of water out of your well at one time? Some folks would find it a problem so we'd say treat the water in there.... others not.

Does your well have iron in it??

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Slam the pool as recommended per this site. Your pool will be blue in a couple of days
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

7. Back To Top    #7

Start with some test results. If CYA or CH are really high due to chlorinating with pucks or powders, you'll want to replace some water anyway.

If it turns out there is no CYA, start by raising FC to 10 and let it circulate for an hour or so and then recheck FC & CC. If CC is huge and FC is all gone, then you likely have an ammonia situation and a drain is probably cheaper than trying to eliminate it all with bleach.

If CYA and CH are low or okay and you don't get the huge CC reaction, then just go ahead and SLAM. A note: the more organics you remove early on -- leaves, twigs, dead critters, whatever -- may be lurking on the bottom, the faster it will clear.

Start by getting the water circulating and then test and post results and someone will be along to advise.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!