Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA in new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA in new pool

Hi all,

Just finished our build this past week and I am trying to get the water under control. We used the hose to fill and I knew we would be working on the water because it is drawn from local rivers and wells. Here are the results from the last two days

Yesterday:
    FC 6.6
    CC 0
    PH 8
    TA 200
    CH 200
    CYA 45
    Salt 2950

Today
    FC 4.8
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 225
    CH 170
    CYA 80
    Salt 2950

Water temperature is 56. Yesterday I added 6 cups of muriatic and two pounds of CYA / stabilizer. Should I try and push the TA down with more acid? Pool math calculator is looking at another 5 cups of acid. Am I going in the right direction?
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA in new pool

Jason,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your new pool questions...

I would not worry about your TA for right now.. Just keep an eye on your pH.

Most SWCG pool like a pH of about 7.8, so when the pH drifts above 7.8 add enough MA to bring it down to 7.5 or so.

After a few weeks, you can work on bringing the TA down, but for right now I would leave it alone.

You CSI is well within limits, so nothing to worry about.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim,
    Goal over the coming weeks is to get the flow down and get the run time and percent on the SWG set.
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

You're in no danger of scaling right now, so don't obsess on lowering TA yet.

You probably have to add acid every day to keep pH below 7.8 right now, so it will drop TA some every day.

A tip: plug numbers into poolmath and see how much acid it wants you to add. Then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what adding that amount of acid will do to the tA. The pH reading will likely be way off. It's at best an estimate until the doses get really small. So ignore that part. The TA calculation is usually right on. You'll be able to see how much and how fast TA will drop that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!