Pool and Spa Light Wiring - GFCI (Aqualink RS)

Apr 1, 2017
Fort Worth
I was having issues with my wires inside a junction box that feeds from the Aqualink RS control panel to my pool and spa lights through a GFCI receptacle. After changing out the receptacle I admittedly lost track of the neutral wires. I am fairly confident in the line wires from the control panel to the junction box and lights, but not so much in what to do with each neutral wire. Can someone please review my rough sketch attached and let me know if this is correct (all wires).View attachment Pool Light and Spa Wiring.pdfView attachment Pool Light and Spa Wiring.pdf

From your diagram can I presume that the pool and spa light are of the 120V variety? I am going to presume they are 120V

Something just doesn't look right to me

Do you have the Standard Power Center or the Sub-Panel Power center model? (the sub panel model has a section for circuit breakers and a GFCI outlet can be mounted within the side panel of the cabinet)

Did relay 4 work the only the Spa light?

Did relay 3 only work the pool light?

Are there any other neutrals wires wire-nut spliced in the Aqualink?

The way you have the wiring it looks like relay 3 controls the line side of the GFCI and therefore the GFCI will only have power when the pool light relay is on.

Also there is no GFCI protection of the spa light per your diagram.

From what I see, it should be wired as this:

1. Your GFCI Line side HOT (Black) and Line side Neutral (White) should be coming from the breaker panel.
2. The GFCI load side HOT should be feeding the line 1 screw terminal of relays 3 & 4.
3. The load 1 screw of relay 3 will go to the hot (black) of the pool light and load 1 screw of relay 4 will go to the hot (orange) of the spa light.
4. The neutrals (whites) of the pool and spa lights get tied back to the GFCI load side neutral.
5. All ground wires (green) should be tied to the grounding bar.

I am attaching a diagram of what I think you should have. View attachment Visio-Aqualink RS light wiring.pdf

I found this installation manual of the Aqualink RS on line, see pages 12 & 13 about the light wiring with and without transformers
http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/0748-91071/6594.pdf

Attachments

• Visio-Aqualink RS light wiring.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Fpppool
Joe is correct. Breaker feeds GFCI which feeds relays which feed lights through junction box. :super:

There are other ways to do this but this is one of the best.

Additionally, as shown you have no GFCI protection for one light.

Oh my gosh, that makes so much more sense. I never understood why they wired it the way they did, the GFCI was only powered when the light came on, ha ha ha. This is incredibly helpful, thank you both. Your diagram is perfect. I've also updated my sketch just to be 100% certain. One final question, is it okay to terminate the neutral white wire from the transformer on the grounding lug inside the control panel or would it be better to route it back to the junction box to the GFCI load side neutral?
View attachment Pool Light and Spa Wiring.pdf

Your updated sketch is fine

As far as your question, I don't think I fully understand what you are asking. I am not sure if you are asking about the transformer in the panel or a transformer for the pool/spa lights. If I miss, please ask again differently

For the transformer in the panel: The white (neutral) wire from the panel's transformer should only be terminated on the neutral buss of a sub-panel control center or the neutral conductor from the electrical panel. Ground and neutral busses should always be kept separate in equipment panels. The diagram I stole from the installation manual was figure 5 in the book and the identification of the neutral and ground wiring/busses are confusing and lack clarity. They also failed to show the transformer wires being terminated anywhere. figure 6 in the book was just as bad. Proper connection of the panel's transformer is shown in figures 1 & 2, depending if you have the "Standard" or "Sub-Panel" power center.

For the pool/spa light transformers: The white wires feeding the pool/spa light transformers must connect to the Load side neutral terminal on the GFCI. The reason for this is the way GFCIs work. They detect current flow differences between the hot and neutral load lines. If the current varies more than 3-5 milliamps, the GFCI is supposed to trip. Simply, the theory behind this is if it is not properly flowing through the load (circuitry) it might be flowing (at least partially) through a person. It should also be said that no other neutrals, from non-GFCI circuitry, should terminate on the load side of the GFCI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.