Started Baquacil Conversion

Bummer. Well, it was worth a try.

You don't have any pool details listed in your signature (that would greatly help us help you!). I'm wondering, can you cover your pool? Covering the pool during the day will help to eliminate the sun or reduce it's influence. Even clear or blue bubble cover would work fine to help reduce UV exposure.

I'll gather the info tomorrow and put it in my signature. Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the help.

I don't have any way to cover the pool during the day. As windy as it is here (in a wide open plain of eastern Oklahoma) I don't think one of those bubble covers would stay on more than an hour!

Well I am now 16 days in. Filter running 24/7. I have crystal clear water with no goo on the pool floor or walls but I still have a 5-6 ppm FC loss overnight. (I even tried one night with the filter off to see if that was the culprit) Do I just keep going??

16 days is a healthy ride. Say, I'm curious.. back when it was suggested to take apart your filter and do a deep clean, you said the following:
Well the filter doesn't appear to be the culprit. I checked it at 5am and had a 5ppm loss overnight with 1 CC.
So I'm curious, did you do a deep clean as noted on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page? With everything looking so squeaky-clean, the filter seems suspect. We've been discussing your thread quite a bit and watching for an update. Let's see what the verdict is at this point. Perhaps time to change the media? We'll see. Hang tight.

Well I am now 16 days in. Filter running 24/7. I have crystal clear water with no goo on the pool floor or walls but I still have a 5-6 ppm FC loss overnight. (I even tried one night with the filter off to see if that was the culprit) Do I just keep going??

OK. So the TFP Shamans sacrificed a young goat and read it's entrails (then pooldv put it in his Primo smoker to read the emerging smoke signals...) and we've come a to a decision .... you must be banished from TFP and all traces of your posts purged from the public record :silent:

Ok, just kidding.

We've come to the conclusion that your only course of action is to proceed with changing the sand in your filter and then going on to SLAM the pool as the Baquacil conversion instructions state. I do believe that, after a sand change, your filter will be in a much better position than it is now as all of the remaining organic load from the baquacil will be gone. What you are fighting with right now is the CDX product that you used - it contains a chemical called dimethylhydantoin (DMH) as well as some polyether diols (kind of like anti-freeze, but not deadly). The DMH's original function is to help make the peroxide oxidizer last longer. In a chlorine pool, DMH has absolutely no function except to cause an excess chlorine demand. I believe you are fighting that now. With time the DMX will continue to oxidize and with backwashing and dilutions from rain, the CDX chemical will dilute (slowly) and you'll get better stability out of your chlorine use. But initially I see you continuing to fight with chlorine loss in the near term.

This is always the problem with a Baquacil conversion when CDX was used in the pool - it turns what should be a week long process in a multi week nightmare of chlorine loss. Since most folks don't really keep good records of their CDX additions, it's next-to-impossible to know what concentrations are present (unlike other pool chemicals, there are no simple tests for DMH). We know that a total water replacement would just be a faster route for most Baquacil-to-chlorine conversions BUT telling people that off the bat is daunting and not what they really want to hear. Under normal circumstances with Baqaucil and no CDX, a conversion with chlorine is a reasonable process. There are also other processes for destroying Baquacil (using sodium percarbonate which raises pH and adds lots of peroxide to the water) BUT TFP does not advocate them because they involve buying chemicals in bulk that have no other purpose and again, most folks want a simple process and not to be told to go buy a few hundred dollars worth of specialty chemicals.

Bleach works 95% of the time; unfortunately you are in that 5% group of pools where bleach just takes a really long time.

Keep us posted on how it goes and we'll keep offering as much advice and support as you need.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Great post!! Glad I haven't been banished!

Update from last night. I think I may have turned a corner. When I went to bed the pool tested at 16 ppm. The Liquidator was running full on as it has been through the whole process.

The last two weeks this would result in a ~1 ppm loss. Last night I climbed from 16 to 26ppm this morning!

I'm going to dose up tonight, turn the Liquidator off, and do the OCLT tonight.

Oh boy, can't wait!! Looks like you may have finally destroyed all the BaquaGoo!!!

I tell you, that stuff is an absolute nightmare to deal with...we've never advocated it but I would love it if someone, one of these days, would be willing to test out the sodium percarbonate process. Maybe someday we'll get a brave soul to try it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.