Pool Math........The App

Thanks for pointing those out but the iOS link just doesn't work. Maybe Lee or someone in the know will chime in. Maybe they aren't taking any more testers.
Yesterday afternoon Jon gave me a Birthday present as he submitted the App to Apple for review. Once Apple approves the App it will be listed in the App store for download for all users and will no longer be in testing phase. Unfortunately when we did this it changed something and broke the link for iOS. At this time we have decided to close the test to new users as we await Apple's review. We suspect this will be completed sometime between today and April 23, 2910.

While perhaps unpopular, I hope that this will be a paid app upon release. So many value-added suggestions and refinements. Hope it maintains momentum and funding would fuel future development.

Bad news Miles, the App will be a free download with paid options inside of the App. Upon initial download users will get access to the basic calculator free of charge to help them maintain their pools. This is an ongoing commitment by TFP to make sure we give our users the tools needed to maintain their pools. It will continue to work much like the current PoolMath page where users will need to enter their results on the advice page and then PoolMath will give them advice on how much of what chemical is needed to reach their "Target" number. The free section will NOT however save your test results for future access. The test logger, graphs, and other options will be able to be accessed via a paid Subscription starting once the App goes live. We will be asking $7.99 a year for access to these various features. This works out to .66 cents a month for this new tool. Additionally this subscription will work across all devices and operating systems. One subscription works for all iOS, Android, and in the future Windows devices.

As Miles hinted at, we are doing this to help maintain and improve the App in the future. We do NOT want to see this App sitting there unmaintained like other pool related App's out there right now. Pool Pal for Android hasn't been updated in any way since 2014. Pool Calculator for iOS hasn't been updated since 2011. We want to avoid that in the future!

Now I know many are thinking, well why not .99 cents like others? Sell a million and you're rich! If we thought we could sell that many purchases we'd take this route in a heartbeat. Time after time though developers have found this very difficult to maintain though. You get a flood of new users and then things die down. As this happens no new revenue comes in the doors. This pushes some to create new apps rather than updating existing ones while it pushes others to displaying Ads. Additionally many are shocked once they see that both Apple and Android take 30% of each sale. Lastly there's fees such as server costs and taxes that they must deal with. It's simply difficult to maintain a long term plan with this model.

There is much new technology being developed right now in the App world that we are greatly looking forward to seeing how far we can push this App. Please help us out once we go live by supporting Pool Math!

Yesterday afternoon Jon gave me a Birthday present as he submitted the App to Apple for review. Once Apple approves the App it will be listed in the App store for download for all users and will no longer be in testing phase. Unfortunately when we did this it changed something and broke the link for iOS. At this time we have decided to close the test to new users as we await Apple's review. We suspect this will be completed sometime between today and April 23, 2910.

Bad news Miles, the App will be a free download with paid options inside of the App. Upon initial download users will get access to the basic calculator free of charge to help them maintain their pools. This is an ongoing commitment by TFP to make sure we give our users the tools needed to maintain their pools. It will continue to work much like the current PoolMath page where users will need to enter their results on the advice page and then PoolMath will give them advice on how much of what chemical is needed to reach their "Target" number. The free section will NOT however save your test results for future access. The test logger, graphs, and other options will be able to be accessed via a paid Subscription starting once the App goes live. We will be asking $7.99 a year for access to these various features. This works out to .66 cents a month for this new tool. Additionally this subscription will work across all devices and operating systems. One subscription works for all iOS, Android, and in the future Windows devices.

As Miles hinted at, we are doing this to help maintain and improve the App in the future. We do NOT want to see this App sitting there unmaintained like other pool related App's out there right now. Pool Pal for Android hasn't been updated in any way since 2014. Pool Calculator for iOS hasn't been updated since 2011. We want to avoid that in the future!

Now I know many are thinking, well why not .99 cents like others? Sell a million and you're rich! If we thought we could sell that many purchases we'd take this route in a heartbeat. Time after time though developers have found this very difficult to maintain though. You get a flood of new users and then things die down. As this happens no new revenue comes in the doors. This pushes some to create new apps rather than updating existing ones while it pushes others to displaying Ads. Additionally many are shocked once they see that both Apple and Android take 30% of each sale. Lastly there's fees such as server costs and taxes that they must deal with. It's simply difficult to maintain a long term plan with this model.

There is much new technology being developed right now in the App world that we are greatly looking forward to seeing how far we can push this App. Please help us out once we go live by supporting Pool Math!

Awesome news! Congratulations on submitting the app. I'm excited about it and I hope it will be wildly successful. Crossing fingers Apple reviews and approves it in short order.

…We suspect this will be completed sometime between today and April 23, 2910.

Yep, you should get some kind of notification before April 23, 2910.

Sorry my first post was sarcastic! Thanks for all you do! Looking forward to the app! Used Pool Calculator for years maintaining our Retreat Center pool. So much handier to enter on iPhone at the pool than the website. However that app became clunky over the years as other apps updated to a more modern interface. Plus, a lot of older un-maintained apps are going to stop working on the new iOS version…

The test log feature will put PoolMath over the top. Can hardly wait, and I'll be one of your first subscriptions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey folks,

We've hit a bit of a rocky start to getting the app approved. Unfortunately Apple is extremely picky in this process, and we never know what little things they'll hold us up for until the first review. There are a few technicalities (they want to make sure it's actually affiliated with TFP for one) so we'll have to resubmit the app. Luckily they seem to have a pretty good turnaround these days of around 24 hours.

There's definitely a lot of great suggestions and improvements. We are capturing all of these ideas and will slowly start working our way down the list when it makes sense to implement these things. For now, the big push is to just get the app out there in everyones' hands. Rest assured, we want to consider all of the feedback provided and use those suggestions wherever we are able to, and it makes sense to the majority of users to do so!

As for the folks who have lost their pool configs.... I have to sincerely apologize, we had a sort of perfect storm when transitioning data over to the 'live' servers. For anyone interested, it was a combination of multiple corrupt and/or failed backups, and a version update incompatibility that led to losing some users' data. Hopefully everyone heeded the warning early on that this is a beta and is always a possibility. Going live, we'll have more regular backups, and a more rigorous recovery plan which is tested regularly. I'm still looking into the possibility of recovering some of the data but I can't promise anything at this point. Again, very sorry if you were one of the unlucky users hit by this. We've learned a lot about why this happened and are correcting it so it won't happen again.

Happy long weekend to everyone. Hopefully we'll have an app in the store soon!

Bummed I just lost all my data from since the beginning of the beta but it was a beta so I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks again for working so hard on this app! I have this little 2000 gallon above ground pool that I maintain but it's a good learning tool for me (as a novice pool owner) for the day we eventually get an in-ground pool.

Just now, TestFlight showed an update available so I clicked. No problems but my Log was blocked behind the paywall. "Pay $7.99 to upgrade to Premium and access logs". Gladly, gladly paid. All data in log showed up, no losses. Awesome! But the app is still showing up in TestFlight. Is that correct? Didn't see it available in App Store yet either.

Data is correctly synced to my Android.

Not sure if this was brought up in the 20 previous pages, but I just noticed that you can set a reminder to backwash after a certain number of days..... that conflicts with our % over clean pressure recommendation.

Could the reminder instead be "check filter pressure", or something else. The overview page would then say "Check Filter Pressure is 5 days overdue" instead.

View attachment 62099

Last edited:
Just now, TestFlight showed an update available so I clicked. No problems but my Log was blocked behind the paywall. "Pay $7.99 to upgrade to Premium and access logs". Gladly, gladly paid. All data in log showed up, no losses. Awesome! But the app is still showing up in TestFlight. Is that correct? Didn't see it available in App Store yet either.

Data is correctly synced to my Android.

I'm on iOS, so maybe there's a difference there, but I went and checked mine when I read your post. I opened the app, and it said I had to upgrade to see the logs, then I went to TestFlight, and it showed there was an update available. When I went back to the app it was all opened up again.

Hey folks,

We've hit a bit of a rocky start to getting the app approved. Unfortunately Apple is extremely picky in this process, and we never know what little things they'll hold us up for until the first review. There are a few technicalities (they want to make sure it's actually affiliated with TFP for one) so we'll have to resubmit the app. Luckily they seem to have a pretty good turnaround these days of around 24 hours.

There's definitely a lot of great suggestions and improvements. We are capturing all of these ideas and will slowly start working our way down the list when it makes sense to implement these things. For now, the big push is to just get the app out there in everyones' hands. Rest assured, we want to consider all of the feedback provided and use those suggestions wherever we are able to, and it makes sense to the majority of users to do so!

As for the folks who have lost their pool configs.... I have to sincerely apologize, we had a sort of perfect storm when transitioning data over to the 'live' servers. For anyone interested, it was a combination of multiple corrupt and/or failed backups, and a version update incompatibility that led to losing some users' data. Hopefully everyone heeded the warning early on that this is a beta and is always a possibility. Going live, we'll have more regular backups, and a more rigorous recovery plan which is tested regularly. I'm still looking into the possibility of recovering some of the data but I can't promise anything at this point. Again, very sorry if you were one of the unlucky users hit by this. We've learned a lot about why this happened and are correcting it so it won't happen again.

Happy long weekend to everyone. Hopefully we'll have an app in the store soon!
We went from zip...to this awesome app. I move that there can be no apologizing. It's a beta, if you wanted a stable app, you wait. Thanks for all the work!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.