Pool Math........The App

I've thought about the 'testing after additions' idea. But after some time with the pool I stopped. Roughly a 1/2 gallon of M.A. is close enough until next test. However, the time that I think will cause me to want to see either expected results due to additions, or an "after" set of test results, is when graphing is introduced to Pool Math - The App. As I currently function, the graphs would show that my pH is maintained constantly at the highest end of my pH range. I only test weekly for the most part (stable situation - don't judge :)), so by the time I test the next time, its already risen close to 8.0. So I will look like a high pH'er, when in fact I'm not. So a graph will only tell part of the story in my case. But I'm still looking forward to them someday.

I've thought about the 'testing after additions' idea. But after some time with the pool I stopped. Roughly a 1/2 gallon of M.A. is close enough until next test. However, the time that I think will cause me to want to see either expected results due to additions, or an "after" set of test results, is when graphing is introduced to Pool Math - The App. As I currently function, the graphs would show that my pH is maintained constantly at the highest end of my pH range. I only test weekly for the most part (stable situation - don't judge :)), so by the time I test the next time, its already risen close to 8.0. So I will look like a high pH'er, when in fact I'm not. So a graph will only tell part of the story in my case. But I'm still looking forward to them someday.

You mean like this -

2700FDDB-05FE-4797-984B-2F8CF7A064F6.jpg

Shhhhhh.....it’s a secret......

Wait a second! How in the world did you get those connected!!!! Mine never does. :laughblue::laughblue: Maybe if mine looked like that I’d be more inclined to give the thumbs up. :(

Plus......why aren’t you updated! Even on the beta that’s been turned off. :)

I'll add a vote for adding a log of the estimate after chem addition. It could be a different shade or color, and/or have an "e" after the number or something along that line.

My guess is that most TFPers don't test after a chem addition to verify. I think most new users of TFPC would re-test a few times to gain confidence in PoolMath, but after that it feels redundant. With respect to charts of pH, mine would look pretty much like bmoreswim's... 8 8 8 8 8 8 8...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Didn't like the app at first, but i am a fan of this site so i stuck with it.
Then paid for a year which opened the app up, and suddenly it made more sense, and it's been growing on me.
Haven't hand-written anything in my pool notebook this season, and i see no reason to.

The log is handy… are there any thoughts toward making graphs with that data — so we could see progress over time?
And perhaps it could reveal long term or seasonal trends?
Sorry if this has been covered before.

My .02¢ on estimated values after chemical additions…
I can see why people are requesting this. Looking at the overview i have to remind myself that my FC level is no longer that low for example.
"No dude, you just added chlorine, you're fine."
On the surface it seems like a good idea. But thinking about it — mixing actual tested numbers with fake numbers doesn't feel right.
We should decide what an app like this is for. Is it a tool for getting your pool perfect? Or is the app itself a point of pride? Does the user's gratification come from a crystal clear pool, or the numbers showing in the app? I don't know.

I don't think the app needs estimates, even though I may want them.

I just bought the app for the 2nd year in a row...didn't use it much last year, but will try to do better. :D

Mainly re-upped to support this site....thanks guys for everything!

One question -- probably already answered.....when i enter my test results, is there a way for the app to recommend the chemicals to be added? In other words, CYA of 50, FC of 4, and app says it would be best practice to add 60 oz of 10% bleach (as an example)....maybe it already makes these recommendations, but I don't see it. Would be a great feature.

I just bought the app for the 2nd year in a row...didn't use it much last year, but will try to do better. :D

One question -- probably already answered.....when i enter my test results, is there a way for the app to recommend the chemicals to be added? In other words, CYA of 50, FC of 4, and app says it would be best practice to add 60 oz of 10% bleach (as an example)....maybe it already makes these recommendations, but I don't see it. Would be a great feature.

It’s in the works....the App will likely soon incorporate AI assistants (Siri, Alexa, whatever Google decides to name itself...maybe Fred?) but that takes a fair bit of programming and development to get them started up with basic habits. Conceptually it would be great when those devices can look over input data and historical trends and then assist you in deciding what chemical levels are the most important to adjust at that moment.....would be nice if the App could get you a beer while it does all that thinking for you but hey, there’s always version 4 or 5 for that.....

Go to overview page then touch on FC, will show the amount of chlorine to add. Touch on CYA and it will show amount of stabilizer. Touch on any of the results for recommendations.

Or are you looking for something more than what the overview page shows now?

I think he's just asking about recommended additions.

Cody, if you tap FC, for example, on your overview page (which is your last test results), you'll see where you can set what you want your target FC to be and what type of chemical you're going to use to do it, and it will give you the amount to add and you can optionally log that addition.

Cody, for starters, thank you, and thank all who have helped TFP our financially this year. Between the suscess of the App (better than we had expected) and the amazing year we had in donations TFP is in a position where we’ve gotta spend some money on the company and our future.....and we are. ;) Cody, please slightly elaborate on your request and we’ll do our all to assist.

For now please allow me to address a few comments made. For starters is the photo Matt sent our. Erase that for now from your memory. Not gonna happen unless we’re able to really address some major issues. They simply didn’t paint enough of a picture for us. They looked awesome on larger tablets and even better on Windows but just didn’t pan out on phones.

Second is the comment of personal assistants. As is we’re in the process of “teaching” Google Assistant and Alexa to talk. This involves us trying to predict every statement a user may say and program the App to recognize that statement and take the correct action. As is Jon has this mostly working on his personal server and we’ve done some testing on it with suscess.

So, notice Siri is missing, why is that? The answer here is simple, Apple won’t let developers have much access. They’ve got Siri mostly locked down and it’s limiting what developers can do. Why? Who knows, all I can offer are guesses. In iOS 12 however they are starting to have Siri “predict” various items that may serve useful for users but we’ve yet to tinker with that setup.

Now, all this said,
None of it matters just yet as our amazing fundraiser this Summer has caused TFP to take a new direction and jump on some new opportunities. I look forward to sharing some info with all as I nail down various items. Hope this answers some questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.