Pool Math........The App

I am comparing the app to the older web based version of pool math and I get different CSI numbers. Which one is right?

Clear the website cache data for the Pool Math webpage and then make sure the salt value is the same in both.

I'm using an iPhone so I'm not sure how to clear the cash but I tried it on my wife's iPhone (for the first time) and I got the same conflicting result as I got on mine. My salt values are '0'.

I'm using an iPhone so I'm not sure how to clear the cash but I tried it on my wife's iPhone (for the first time) and I got the same conflicting result as I got on mine. My salt values are '0'.

Which browser are you using?

Safari/iOS : Settings >> Safari >> Clear History & Website Data

On my iPhone using Safari and Chrome both agree with the App within +/-0.02

If you have a saved/local copy of the Pool Math webpage on your phones home screen, then you need to delete it.

Basically the website page was updated several months ago to reflect more realistic salt levels and any cached webpage is going to have that old code in it. You have to delete the cached data for that webpage in order to get the browser to pull up the most recent version of the code.

To be clear are you using the poolmath web page within tfp? Or are you using the really old poolcalculator.com that is no longer updated or maintained.

Also there is no way your salt level in your pool is actually zero. That is why some assumption for a salt level is made in the background.

I'm using safari. I just did everything you said above and the CSI doesn't agree with the pool math app.

The numbers I'm using are:
Gallons 10340
FC 4
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 230
CYA 30
Salt 0
Borates 10
Temp 84F
App shows a CSI of -0.39
Web based pool math shows CSI Of -0.28

Suggested Goal Levels:
Trouble Free Pool
Bleach
Plaster

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear are you using the poolmath web page within tfp? Or are you using the really old poolcalculator.com that is no longer updated or maintained.

Also there is no way your salt level in your pool is actually zero. That is why some assumption for a salt level is made in the background.
I'm using pool math within TFP. I don't know my salt level so I put '0'. I don't have a saltwater chlorine generated pool.

Are you tracking salt in the app?

Even if your pool is not an SWG pool, it has chloride in it. Many non SWG pool owners are often amazed at how high their salt levels are, typically close to 1000ppm or more depending on water exchange.

If you are not tracking salt in the App, then I believe it defaults salt to 1000ppm or so. If you do track salt, then it uses the current value.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you tracking salt in the app?

Even if your pool is not an SWG pool, it has chloride in it. Many non SWG pool owners are often amazed at how high their salt levels are, typically close to 1000ppm or more depending on water exchange.

If you are not tracking salt in the App, then I believe it defaults salt to 1000ppm or so. If you do track salt, then it uses the current value.
That's what it is. I wasn't tracking salt and it gave me -0.39. When I changed it to tracking salt, and put in '0', it gave me -0.29 which is the same as the web based pool math. What do you guys recommend if we aren't tracking salt??? I would assume the salt levels will vary depending on how old the water is and how much bleach has been used. I'm in Houston and my pool just got diluted from 25" of rain from Hurricane Harvey.

That's what it is. I wasn't tracking salt and it gave me -0.39. When I changed it to tracking salt, and put in '0', it gave me -0.29 which is the same as the web based pool math. What do you guys recommend if we aren't tracking salt???

Start tracking it [emoji848]

It's up to you. A salt value of zero is not realistic though; your pool water has salinity to it, you're just choosing to ignore it. So you can either measure it a few times per year and track it, or just assume it's around 1000ppm and put that in the webpage whenever you use it.

Strips are fairly cheap if you want a rough measurement or you can buy a K-1766 if you like to be super accurate or you can ask the pool store to measure it for "free" next time you go shopping there. If you buy a pool noodle from them, it will make them happy.

Thanks for your help! It makes sense now.

One other question, on the webpage there is the 'Now' and 'Target' columns which makes it extremely easy to play with the numbers in the 'Target' column to get the desired CSI number. In the iOS app, there isn't a 'Target' column so it's a little bit more cumbersome to find the DESIRED CSI. Am I missing something in the app? I do really appreciate both pool math options so I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining.

Thanks for your help! It makes sense now.

One other question, on the webpage there is the 'Now' and 'Target' columns which makes it extremely easy to play with the numbers in the 'Target' column to get the desired CSI number. In the iOS app, there isn't a 'Target' column so it's a little bit more cumbersome to find the DESIRED CSI. Am I missing something in the app? I do really appreciate both pool math options so I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining.

If you're at the Overview screen and you tap the CSI pad, it brings up the CSI calculator that lets you play with the numbers. However, unlike the PoolMath webpage, there's no immediate way to see what those changes are in terms of chemical additions. That will have to wait for future app updates when the effects of adding chemicals are included along with chemical addition trackers.

If you're at the Overview screen and you tap the CSI pad, it brings up the CSI calculator that lets you play with the numbers. However, unlike the PoolMath webpage, there's no immediate way to see what those changes are in terms of chemical additions. That will have to wait for future app updates when the effects of adding chemicals are included along with chemical addition trackers.

OK, I knew I must have missing something. The CSI pad does make it easier.

Thanks!

Any chance of having Bromine added as a Chemistry type in addition to Bleach and SWG. I use the app for both my pool and spa and my spa uses Bromine as a sanitizer. And any chance of having the option to be able to input drops into the Chlorine input rather than FC? I use the Cl test kit for BR so I have to multiply by 2.25 so with a 25mL sample my FC (or is it FB?) is .45/drop and with a 10mL sample it is 1.125 per drop. The math is a little trickier to do in your head.

Leebo
I've created backups of both my beta data as well as the official app data. I can't see an import option, nor can I get it to open up within the app by going directly to the file locations and clicking on it. Any ideas?

Yes...how does one import saved logs from the beta into the retail version?

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out...click backup file from within device and open it in poolmath, follow prompts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.