Pool store and my test.

Pyrodav

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Dec 11, 2016
Chillicothe/ohio
So I have been checking my water everyday for the last couple of weeks and thought I'd compare my results to the pool store. They have the BioGuard system.

My Taylor kit is reading 0 CH the pool store says I have 278 Total hardness...I understand this also includes Mag. But shouldn't I be reading a little CH?

My Taylor kit is reading 110 TA the pool store says Adj. Total Alkalinity 35.

Pool temp is 62 degrees. My FC is 11.5 coming down from shock. Could my FC make my readings off?

It is normal for the CH reagent to get cloudy and act a little weird. Be sure to shake it well. Try the 25ml sample for higher accuracy.

Yes, pool store gibberish is the perfect description.

I just tested CH again. 20 drops r0010 and 5 drops r0011L, water stays blue after 5 drops. I added a little calcium to my test water and it turned pink/red. Tap water turns pink/red. Pool water stays blue. I added 8 lbs. of calcium last week to see if it would read and nothing. :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your description of your test method is a little vague. You make no mention of the R-0012 by name. Are you comfortable you are doing the test correctly?

How did you add "calcium" to your test water?

My understanding is once I see blue the test is over after 5 drops of r0011. If not, I might be doing the test incorrect.

I added a 1/4 teaspoon of calcium to a condiment squeeze bottle of sample water. It turns red after 5 drops like my tap water. Actually less than 5.

Calcium Hardness test - Too much CH in all pools is harmful........vinyl, fiberglass or masonry. It can cause cloudiness in your water or scaling onto pool surfaces. Too little CH only affects masonry pools as it can leach calcium from the walls or grout. CH readings in the 250-400 range are considered ideal.
1. Rinse and fill the clear plastic cylinder to the 10ml mark
2. Add 10 drops of R-0010 and mix. Then, add 3 drops of
R-0011L and mix. Red indicates the presence of Calcium.
3. Add R-0012, one drop at a time, ‘til color changes to blue. Multiply number of drops times 25. NOTE: If the pool water contains known copper, add two drops of R-0012 PRIOR to adding R-0011L and continue. Count the two drops in your R-0012 total. Record.

Are you following the above directions precisely?

If calcium is present in the water then the CH test will turn reddish-purple after adding the R-0011L. When you do the titration with the R-0012, you must titrate until the sample has turned blue and STOPS CHANGING COLOR. In other words, the end point is when the blue stops getting more blue, not when you first see it turn blue.

Also, what chemical are you using to "add calcium" to your water? Is it pure calcium chloride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am doing the 25ml with 20 drops r0010, then 5 drops r0011L. There is no red to turn blue. After r0011L it is blue.

Yes, I used calcium chloride. I have not added 2 drops of r0012 first. This may make a difference if the algaecide used to close had copper. I'll try it.

Thanks

After shaking my r0011L for about 30 seconds I got a faint purplish blue. Took 24 drops to get it to the blue I had been seeing. So I'm thinking I may have finally got a reading of 240.

Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.