Where's all my stabilizer?

cbredesen

Bronze Supporter
Jul 25, 2015
Orlando, FL
Filled pool last year after refinishing to pebble and got CYA to around 50 (overshot some, really wanted 40).

This spring I notice the pool is consuming chlorine a lot faster than I expect. Test the water and there's basically no CYA at all. Local pool store confirmed the numbers. I don't use pucks.

By all accounts I've read, only way to rid myself of CYA would be to drain water and that hasn't happened. Virtually no rain over the winter.

Where'd it all go?

How long has it been since the last time you tested your CYA before this last test?

Also was there any time between then and now that you have tested your water and found 0 FC?

I'm by no means an expert but I believe by dilution of water can make your cya go lower. If you have a leak and an auto-fill keeps filling it up, splash out and refill or a lot of rain water in the pool. I'm sure the experts will chime in but that is what I think can make your cya go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall but it would have been in the late summer or fall 2016. It's a number that doesn't (or didn't?) move around much so I kinda set it and forget it. The prior year I had horrible problems with CYA because I was addicted to pucks and didn't know any better. Local pool store just keeps selling pucks and my CYA was over 300. Wasted a lot of water fixing that...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have an auto-fill and AFAIK evaporation does not reduce CYA. No leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.