New build in central Texas

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
All,

This is my second pool. The first was a pure rectangle with automatic cover. We loved the pool, but moved and are now trying something new.

The new one is very free form. We also added an 8' spa. There is a sun shelf with 3 savi lighted bubblers. A bench runs around the entire pool. There is a table in the pool. At one end, there is a plan to build an arbor with a rain curtain. There is a plan for 2 scupper bowls with a savi lighted bubbler in each one.

At least that is plan.

556cc8dc3674b34b517bcdd2cfd1e360.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plumbing is planned to be like this.

fee2acecae2fb6b380fcca4a30e94a2b.jpg

I could use advice on the valving. I am using automatic valve motors, but I plan to add a potentiometer to each one so I can control how far I open them. That way I can control the effect of each accessory.

The pumps will be below water level! Using 3" suctions with flush mounted Superflow 360 drains. Returns will be dual 2".

Pool has been excavated and formed.

89fb97062143eaf6fb0420fd09e15d97.jpg

As you can see, the house is being constructed as well. The patio has a 40' beam so that the view of the pool is not obstructed.

The excavator over dug the pool.... more to come on that.

I plan to have 3 savi lighted bubblers at the edge of the sun shelf.

The water level was planned to be 3" deep. The idea was the bubblers would be more dramatic if they had less resistance to blow through.

The excavator over dug by about 9 inches and the shelf is huge.

Should I go deeper or eat the cost of gunnite?

Also, it looks like he dug the pool 2' longer and 2' wider. Oh well..... at least I get more pool.

I LOVE the design! Something for everyone! I like how the sun shelf does not take up any of the pool area. That table is going to be great!

Where are your returns going to be? That will be a very important thing to think about especially for the shelf and table area.

Can't wait to hear about the over dig ??????????

Kim:kim:

Just so everyone knows, the ground is solid limestone. It took 7 days of rock ram. The pool deck will be elevated some so that there is no step (minor drop for water control) coming out of the house. The patio will range from 12" to 20" above bedrock (ground surface). I plan to do a rock salt finish that is scored into 24" x 24" diamond pattern with a very light tan stain and flat seal. No coping planned right now. There is a channel drain that runs around the pool.

I plan to have 3 savi lighted bubblers at the edge of the sun shelf.

The water level was planned to be 3" deep. The idea was the bubblers would be more dramatic if they had less resistance to blow through.

The excavator over dug by about 9 inches and the shelf is huge.

Should I go deeper or eat the cost of gunnite?

Also, it looks like he dug the pool 2' longer and 2' wider. Oh well..... at least I get more pool.

Are you saying your want your shelf to be only 3" deep? That is really nothing as far as water on the shelf. Let me find the thread I am thinking about to show you their bubblers at work on their shelf that is deeper. You will see the shelf could have been even deeper and the bubblers would still be dramatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it! Look at post 608. South Florida Pool Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE - Page 31

The shelf was set to be 3" of water? If they dug deeper I think they did you a big favor. We have a 6" deep (water level) shelf and wish it was 9". 3" is REALLY shallow. How did you plan to use it? We have 3 no-name bubblers in 6" of water and they perform well. And we don't have a feature pump. We also split the flow between the pool and spa. Everyone's plumbing is different, but everyone here suggests that bubblers can work in up to 12" of water, especially with a feature pump (which I highly recommend).

Is this an owner build? If not, you shouldn't be paying extra for gunite if they overdug.

I LOVE the design! Something for everyone! I like how the sun shelf does not take up any of the pool area. That table is going to be great!

Where are your returns going to be? That will be a very important thing to think about especially for the shelf and table area.

Can't wait to hear about the over dig ??????????

Kim,

I am kind of looking at doing a hybrid between a drainless and drain pool.

First off, I have tons of valves so if my experiment fails, I can change it later.

For the returns, I plan to use slit returns. For the sun shelf I plan 1 or 2 that are aimed sideways in a way to create a current to blow debris into the deeper end. I need to draw this up so I can get feedback here.

For the table area, I need to make sure my robot does not find its way around the table legs, so I plan to limit the cord length from the opposite side. Then run an upper slut return above the bench and one below the bench to try to crest a current that pushes dirt into the center of the pool.

The rest of the returns were going to be aiming down the walls like a drainless pool setup.

I would definitely like feedback on this, but may need to provide a diagram.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice pool!

Thanks everyone for the fast feedback.

I knew it was a good idea to get feedback. Ok, make the shelf deeper for sure.

6" ????? What does everyone vote here?

The 2 pumps are going to be 3hp Pentair VS pumps.

The controller will be a Linux machine with a bunch of arduinos and a web interface. So, unlimited accessories.

Nice pool!

Thanks everyone for the fast feedback.

I knew it was a good idea to get feedback. Ok, make the shelf deeper for sure.

6" ????? What does everyone vote here?

The 2 pumps are going to be 3hp Pentair VS pumps.

The controller will be a Linux machine with a bunch of arduinos and a web interface. So, unlimited accessories.

How do you want to use the shelf? If laying and submerging yourself in it, go 9" or deeper. If just putting chairs in it to get your feet wet or a ledge lounger to just get your bottom wet, 6-9" is good.

One thing you will need to consider beyond 6" is an entry step into the shelf otherwise it will be a steep step down from deck.

If you decide against salt you can just use liquid chlorine. You can pour from jugs (what I do) or you can add a liquidator. There are many threads about it. The search box up in the upper right hand corner will keep you inside TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.