Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is algaecide always needed for pool opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is algaecide always needed for pool opening?

Title says it all...

20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is algaecide always needed for pool opening?

Nope. In fact, it's only useful if you are closing your pool.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Is algaecide always needed for pool opening?

So just chlorine, and adjust pH & alkalinity then...and clean..? Thanks!

20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Remember, you need to know what the CYA level is, to know what to target for FC level.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tlevy View Post
    and clean..?
    Is it clear and just needs vacuuming or is it a green swamp?
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

6. Back To Top    #6

We almost never suggest it, and some add a good amount of undesirables like Copper which will stain your pool with surprisingly little use.

Are you set up with a good test kit and familiar with Pool School?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have the FAS test kit as it is not available in Canada. The pool is still frozen, so no testing of anything just yet.

The kit I have is the liquid chlorine test kit from Taylor...not ideal by any stretch, but better than a dropper test.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Is it clear and just needs vacuuming or is it a green swamp?
    Not sure yet...no reason for it to be green, as it was closed properly, well sanitized and properly balanced...

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tlevy View Post
    Not sure yet...no reason for it to be green, as it was closed properly, well sanitized and properly balanced...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Generally how it was closed is not the full determining factor. The bigger factor is when it was closed. If it was closed/covered when the water was still warm (above 60) the chlorine you put in it for closing will be depleted in a week or so due to any organic material in the water.. Then the algae has a chance to start growing. In addition when you open is just as important. If you wait and allow the water to warm under the cover then this is more time for algae to grow.

We always recomend - Close late, withteh water the colder the better. Open early, again with very cold water.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Generally how it was closed is not the full determining factor. The bigger factor is when it was closed. If it was closed/covered when the water was still warm (above 60) the chlorine you put in it for closing will be depleted in a week or so due to any organic material in the water.. Then the algae has a chance to start growing. In addition when you open is just as important. If you wait and allow the water to warm under the cover then this is more time for algae to grow.

We always recomend - Close late, withteh water the colder the better. Open early, again with very cold water.
    Ok. I think temp was close to or below sixty. In a few weeks I guess I will find out!