Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy Bond Beam Dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy Bond Beam Dilemma

So I thought my bond beam had failed when tiles started popping out around the waterline and the thin set was cracking all the way around the pool at about the same height. I just moved into the house a few years ago and the pool was re-plastered and tiled just before hand. I don't know anything more about the history except that the original pool was put in in late 60's. I assumed it was a cold joint failure at the coping causing the issues. Its a cantilevered concrete deck. Upon further digging it looks like somebody raised the deck at some point by about 7 inches and the cracks I am seeing are all exactly at the spot between where the top of the original gunite and the added concrete deck meet (about 7" down the pool wall. There is no sealer or cold joint between them. Just an open 1/2" gap covered with plaster, mortar, and tiles. This now also explains why the water level and skimmer sit so low. The silicone at the top of the tiles is only tile and plaster deep.

So now I'm left resolving this. Any thoughts short of demo and rebuild? Thanks in advance.....

pool4sm.jpg

pool3sm.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Crazy Bond Beam Dilemma

Wow! That is just amazing
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow. A pool deck pounding on the back of the tile line.

I have some bad ideas. A deep one inch channel filled with something a foot back from the edge?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, not sure I've ever seen this one before...sorry to hear about this.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Not so bad solution.

Remove all the title. Cut back the under lip portion of the upper slab an inch or so and install the title over a backer material as they appear to have done.
    The title won't be well supported and you will have a void but the slab should move without affecting the title.

I don't really like that idea either.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall