Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd results with drop test for salt ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd results with drop test for salt ppm

I have just used my new Taylor 2006-salt test kit. The drop test for salt ppm produces goopy looking solids. Swirling doesn't seem to disolve them, vigorous shaking breaks it up into tiny pellets. Color change seems to work correctly, but if I stop swirling or shaking, the solids quickly settle to the bottom of the test tube. I realize that these solids are what create the milky look, but does the rapid change to opaque solid indicate something else about the water? Also notice a scum line in test tube after emptying the sample; rinsing does not remove the scum; I needed to wipe it out and then rinse again. Test is showing 3200 ppm salt. The ProLogic says 2800.

I have read the threads about doubling the water sample and will try that. I agree that the color change can go from yellow to the brick brown with the addition of l more drop.

So is this effect normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks
    21,000 gal+700 gal spa, Pebbletec in-ground POOL/SPA Pentair Easy touch 8/Star-ClearPlus 17502filter/1hp pump / Stenner metering pump 45M5 acid /Starlite gas heater /6060 3/4hp booster-Polaris 380 supply-side cleaner /Goldline valve actuators::SPAJETS 2.5hp pump /Silencer 2hp Blower SARASOTA FLORIDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd results with drop test for salt ppm

Welcome to TFP!!!

Everything you posted sounds normal from my experience. Clumps on the bottom and a ring of white in the test tube that you have wipe out.
    Are you using a speed stir? That helps with the end point.

I also always saw that the Taylor test consistently read 400-800ppm higher than my ProLogic says.
    Bottom line, you need the Prologic happy, so I would raise your salt level so the Prologic reads around 3200ppm and then see what your Taylor test says and consider that the normal.

Then in the future if the Taylor start reading higher and higher above what the Prologic says (or said better, the Taylor stays similar but the Prologic reading is dropping), that could indicate a problem with your SWG cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Normal. The drops contain silver ions. The silver ions combine with chloride to form silver chloride, which is the insoluble white precipitate.

The more chloride there is, the more silver it takes to precipitate all of the chloride.

Only when the chloride is all precipitated will the silver combine with the chromate to give a brick red color.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

My Taylor test also reads about 500 ppm higher than my SWG. I was scratching my head for a few days then just added more salt to keep the SWG happy.

James - are you saying there's a more accurate way to test??
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, this is normal with the test, and always one of my least favorites in the lab, but it works very well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mac4lyfe View Post
    James - are you saying there's a more accurate way to test??
    No, just explaining how it works. For our purposes and at a reasonable cost, this is the best test.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.