Has anybody ever refurbished their old filter housing?

Mar 28, 2017
Az
Hey guys, I have an old Triton TR60 sand filter and the fiberglass is starting to shed off after the clear coat deteriorated in our hot hot AZ sun. I was curious if anybody has experience refurbishing the exterior of one of these?

The laterals and interior are in great shape and I'm not too worried about the shell failing as the PSI is relatively low.

Thanks

A5B503C7-8E43-4BBB-98DC-B0AA45296BE1.jpg

F2870AC3-7BEA-42B4-8953-5A506815FF44.jpg

I swear I've seen that here, or at least people inquiring about it for sure. I don't know about doing it, but if its practical to you it ought to be the same as any other FG resto. All the guts and associated hardware are good or replaceable if not?

Oh And look at that!! PERMANENT media filter. I'm saving that picture if you dont mind to remind the next person extolling the virtues of five year sand changes.

:jocolor:

Welcome to the Forum Mario! :cheers:

You can spray another coat or two of clear on the filter or mask off the label and spray it with paint and then a coat of clear. Many members with older fiberglass filters have done this so they can handle the filters without getting the shed fibers stuck in their skin. Just pick something suitable for use on fiberglass.
Here are a couple of threads to check out: Paint filter housing? My arms are so itchy
painting itchy fiberglass filter
Sun is damaging the fiberglass on my filter housing and pump - surface is chalky ...

Thanks PB! By all means its yours but please host it yourself. I don't think Photobucket knows i'm grandfathered in to whatever they were offering in 2003 ;)

Thanks Mario, I think I will add it to our gallery. It also makes me wonder if this company became Pentair, or if they bought the name. My modern filter is a Triton by them. Good luck on your project Sir! :cheers:

And thanks for the links Zea! :bowdown:

It also makes me wonder if this company became Pentair
Yeah, they did. I brought mine (2003) when it was still Triton but then Pentair bought them out shortly thereafter, I think. My TR-140 is in out of the sun and will likely last another 20 years with the original sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.