Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anybody ever refurbished their old filter housing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anybody ever refurbished their old filter housing?

Hey guys, I have an old Triton TR60 sand filter and the fiberglass is starting to shed off after the clear coat deteriorated in our hot hot AZ sun. I was curious if anybody has experience refurbishing the exterior of one of these?

The laterals and interior are in great shape and I'm not too worried about the shell failing as the PSI is relatively low.

Thanks

IG Oval shaped 20,000 Gal plaster - Triton TR60 sand filter - MagneTek CX 1.0hp - TF-100 - New house/pool Dec. 2015. Drained, acid and chlorine washed Oct 2016. New water City of PHX @ 205-291 ppm Oct. 2016 - Deep cleaned sand Mar. 2017 + 50lbs of new #20 silica - "pool stored" for most of 2016. now on liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anybody ever refurbished their old filter housing?

I swear I've seen that here, or at least people inquiring about it for sure. I don't know about doing it, but if its practical to you it ought to be the same as any other FG resto. All the guts and associated hardware are good or replaceable if not?

Oh And look at that!! PERMANENT media filter. I'm saving that picture if you dont mind to remind the next person extolling the virtues of five year sand changes.

Welcome to the Forum Mario!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks PB! By all means its yours but please host it yourself. I don't think Photobucket knows i'm grandfathered in to whatever they were offering in 2003
    IG Oval shaped 20,000 Gal plaster - Triton TR60 sand filter - MagneTek CX 1.0hp - TF-100 - New house/pool Dec. 2015. Drained, acid and chlorine washed Oct 2016. New water City of PHX @ 205-291 ppm Oct. 2016 - Deep cleaned sand Mar. 2017 + 50lbs of new #20 silica - "pool stored" for most of 2016. now on liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

But they made sand better back in the day.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

You can spray another coat or two of clear on the filter or mask off the label and spray it with paint and then a coat of clear. Many members with older fiberglass filters have done this so they can handle the filters without getting the shed fibers stuck in their skin. Just pick something suitable for use on fiberglass.
    Here are a couple of threads to check out: Paint filter housing? My arms are so itchy
    painting itchy fiberglass filter
    Sun is damaging the fiberglass on my filter housing and pump - surface is chalky ...
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Andres View Post
    Thanks PB! By all means its yours but please host it yourself. I don't think Photobucket knows i'm grandfathered in to whatever they were offering in 2003
    Thanks Mario, I think I will add it to our gallery. It also makes me wonder if this company became Pentair, or if they bought the name. My modern filter is a Triton by them. Good luck on your project Sir!

And thanks for the links Zea!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, thank you Zea! The last link has a reply from Slickraft that is 100% exactly what I was searching for.

I'd start it this weekend but I don't want to miss out on filter time!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

It also makes me wonder if this company became Pentair
    Yeah, they did. I brought mine (2003) when it was still Triton but then Pentair bought them out shortly thereafter, I think. My TR-140 is in out of the sun and will likely last another 20 years with the original sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

What does permanent media mean..... sand??

Boy that filter does look like a classic!

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard