Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump

After giving me no problems, suddenly, I have a 3/4 PB4 booster pump that only hums for a few seconds, and then shuts off. I have taken off the back cover and spun the motor, so IT's not locked up.
    Took off the back plate and see the contacts are all clean. AND.... tried a new start capacitor, and it still just hums.
    any other suggestions before i write this one off?
    i didn't see a starter 'reset button' in the back, but maybe i missed it.

thanks for your help.

15K IG Plaster (1991), Pentair
    FNS 60- DE;Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 380, TF-100; SpeedStir​

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump

Dump it in the trash and buy a robot. It will drop your power costs to almost zero and will do a better job cleaning your pool. While the initial cost is high you get a cleaner pool and lower costs.

You can take the motor to a shop and see if they have a solution but you have exhausted the normal dyi solutions.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

alright.
    i am going to replace or repair it myself...i think.

i'm considering breaking down the old booster to see if it's repairable.
    While i do this, can i leave those two hoses from the volute open, and run the filter pump without water going everywhere?
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

You can replace the motor without disturbing the wet side.

As I said above this is usually not worth it in the long run. Booster pumps just end up costing cash.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall