New Equipment Advice and Thoughts

av8042

Mar 31, 2017
Middle Island/ NY
Hi Guys,
Brand new to forum, hope all is well with everyone... I have a 18x36 Lazy L (28000 gal) I just recently cut out all the equipment. Had a 16yo 1 1/2hp challenger pump with FNS 48 Filter and CL200 Chlorinator that owed me nothing. Pool has 1 1/2" plumbing and filter is 15' from pool on deep end side. I have two Skimmers deep end and 3 returns and a Cleaner Port piped 1 1/2" also in middle of long side. I have a newer Polaris 360 (no booster pump required) . I don't like the use of restrictors in the returns to run the 360 and my thought is that I would like to set the 360 up with its own pump since it does have its own line and use Hayward 6060 Booster pump since it can accommodate 1 1/2" plumbing to run it. I would then use Pentair Super Flo VS 11/2 hp pump for system with Quad 60 DE FIlter. I could crank down rpm on VS when cleaner is not running and bring it back up to high (lowest rpm all out system can run on) when cleaner is running or would I have to? .My original thought was to use an intelliflo/pro to run both but, it would need to run at higher speeds which I'm sure would be more costly then using the two pumps. Hope I explained it correctly and look forward to advice and input.

Welcome to the TF Pool Forum! :wave:

In nearly every instance I would ditch the cleaner and go with good quality Robot. Trying to imagine the layout of your system, I'm not sure how well either one would work. I may be overly worried for nothing, but if either will work equally well. I would absolutely ditch the booster cleaner/pump set up in lieu of the Robot.

PROPOSED POOL SET UP.jpgHi Patrick,
Thanks for the quick response . I've included a Proposed Set up of Equipment. In response to your suggestion to go with a robot I am trying to keep costs down. That is the reason why I would rather spend the addtl $275 on a booster pump trying to improve upon the systems and the 360s efficiency/performance rather than addtl $1000.00 replacing with new or robot as you suggested. I wouldn't have to run cleaner as long as pump and I can knock down RPM on VS to be more efficient while cleaner is not in use. In addition, I have read that even though pool is plumbed 1 1/2" there may be a slight advantage to plumbing from ground up with 2" pipe for filtration system? I don't see how that's possible because your still restricted by the 1 1/2"? Thoughts on that also. Thanks, Alex

pool pic1.jpg360 gets around great... Since the plumbing for the 2 skimmers (one line) and the Main drain are 1 1/2" i'll upsize to two inches at 3 way valve to pump, keep it two inches through filtration system and when it gets to 1 1/2" cleaner and return line(3 returns) I'll do same just opposite. I'll use a 3/4 hp booster pump for cleaner line plumbed 1 1/2" and a 1hp Pump (superflo) or 3/4hp? for system. Thoughts?

If your going to be installing automation like an easy touch, I would go for an intelliflo pump. I have a superfo vs and its a great pump but I regret not having the smarter pump to work better with my automation.

Also, best $150 I just spent was on a flowvis flow meter. Allowed me to learn what the pump / pool was doing.

Hi Again,
Okay so I just read up on an energy filter setup after pump- before filter for pressure side cleaner (without booster pump) I had planned to plumb after filter before check and chlorinator? Is this something I need to consider? With such an oversized filter and a 3hp vs pump I would think I'm fine without one? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.