Overland Park, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I just wanted to pop in and say that going into last fall/winter I was fearing the closing of our pool. Why? All of our prior openings found nasty, murky, greenish brown water. Normal time to get cleared was 5 days and a lot of work. Last fall, I read the sticky on "How to close an above ground pool" and I followed the steps, most specifically to SLAM before closing. I also took one step on my own which was to get the cover on and then after the leaves had fallen completely, I took off a couple of the straps in one of the corners and turned my KreepyKrawler loose to suck up any leaves that had gotten in the pool between my last use of the leaf rake and when the cover actually was secured.

I think that both of those things contributed to a 500% better opening a few days ago. The water was clear and there were only about 25 leaves that had snuck in between the cover and the wall that has the waterfall shears in it. It took less than ONE full day to clear the pool with the filter and using the KreepyKrawler to suck up the silt that had accumulated on the bottom. We are happy campers this spring.

THANKS TFP!!!!

That is great to hear!!! :goodjob:

Posts like this keep me coming back to help others get there. So glad you founf out how nice and easy it really can be. Knowledge is power as they say, but true is true. :lol:

Nice!!!! :snorkle:

I'm glad you have found our information helpful. Please consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keep the electrons flowing.

Wooooo hooooo too!
I ,too, just re-opened my AGP. This was my first year to keep a pool up during the winter because I used to have soft-sided Intex pools that I could take down. I was a little nervous about what I would find after taking the cover off. Especially since I had nasty smelling swamp water on top of the cover. After draining as much water as I could from the cover, I rolled up the cover, with my families help, and revealed crystal clear water underneath. Much relief!

I attribute this to TFP and your directions for closing an AGP. I was also fairly diligent about getting the leaves off the cover and draining the rainwater off within a day or two of the rain event. A couple of weeks before the uncovering, my cover developed a couple of small leaks and would slowly fill up after I would drain the water off. But I just kept draining so it wouldn't get out of hand.

Once I got it filled up, I ran my tests:
FC -0.5
TA - 130
CYA - 35
pH - 7.5
I raised the FC back up to 7 and have put in the puck duck to raise the CYA a little. I am very pleased with the openning and can't wait for the water to warm up so we can go swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.