Zero Pressure on gauge

May 21, 2009
I have had priming problems recently (still do) whereby the water level in the strainer basket is slightly lower that the sight glass lid when turned on- bubbles in there too. I'd say its 95% primed. Poor flow out of the returns with a steady flow of small bubbles out of the first return. Nonexistent flow out of the returns with the Polaris turned on - even though it has its own booster pump. I have had 2 Pool Pros come out to try to figure it out. I was getting about 4 psi, then I cleaned my DE Filter really well and now I am not registering any pressure ( on different gauges). ALL of the basics have been tried including
Gauge replaced
Water hose/drian king put in both sides of the suction line.
New O Rings
No above ground plumbing cracks

Question: I was thinking of cutting off my pvc inlet pipe where it comes into the pump. Then adding a new 25 foot pvc line from the pump and into the pool water. Then turn on the pump. This would tell me if the suction line has a leak or is partially blocked. What do you guys think of this idea? Of course the slope of the pvc would not match that of the pvc in the ground going to the skimmer.

That would work although a bit extreme. It sounds like you have a plugged suction line or perhaps the impeller may be clogged. Both will exhibit the same symptoms.

Since you have already tried clearing the lines and before you start cutting pipes, I would try clearing the impeller first to see if that helps.

Do you think you could get a plumbers snake thru the current line from the skimmer to the pump? Or the reverse?

The line cut will surely tell you the answer (I do think you have a blockage on the suction side) but it won't help you fix it. I would try to mechanically clear that line.

Before you do, you have checked:

1. Drain plug(s) in the bottom of the pump strainer basket

2. O-ring around pump strainer basket

3. Enough water in the pool so it's not sucking air at the skimmer

4. Any unions or valves on the line between the pump and the skimmers.......everything is open and airtight.

Helped a neighbor with a problem like this, he had an older pump and his impeller had worn out the mount for the motor shaft, so the motor shaft was just spinning within the impeller, it did have some pressure intermitantly. If your not sure of the integrity of the pump, split it and check it again by holding the motor rotor still and trying to turn the impeller. ( make sure the power is off!)

jb :monkey:

I bought a plumbers "auger" and tried the skimmer hole first. I could get it in about 2.5 feet but that's all. Not sure if it was stuck on a bend or what...At the pump side I could hardly get it in at all...
I checked the other items on your list too.
The first pool Pro that I hired came over and first suspected the impeller but was surprised when he split it open- that there was not anything in there.

What other options are there to clear out a line mechanically? Hire a plumber?
I'm tempted to dig up the line but I know its a lot of work. Is there a machine that I could rent to dig up most of it?

Is there any way that you can unscrew the fitting from the pump inlet and purchase some fittings to connect a hose directly to the pool. I am not convinced it is not the pump. Before you go cutting and digging it would be cheaper and less painfull to positivly rule out the pump. Just because the "pro" says the pump is "clear" does not make it functional.

JB :monkey:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.