Best Filter for SaltWater Pool. Currently have Hayward C4025..

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Hi Guys, I did a quick search and found some good info, but I wanted to ask the experts directly about my new saltwater conversion and which filter would be best.

I inherited a pool when we bought our new house and never owned a pool before. I just replaced the heater and got a new Pentair 011018 intelliflo VS pump which replaced a old 1.5 HP single speed pump.

Before the new pump was installed my Hayward filter (C4025) was showing pressure of 30. Pool guy who maintains my pool said I need to clean the filters, he charged $100 to do it, pressure went down a bit, but is now back at 30 even when my pentair pump is only on speed 3.

I am going to be installing the Pentair automation soon with the IC40 salt cell. Do I need a different filter, or will this one be OK?

He then wanted to charge me $125 per filter (x4) and said those were bad. I said NO way. Then I got another guy tell me that I need a much larger filter due to the new pump. Not sure what he meant.

Basically my pool water isn't circulating well it seems. The flowers and debris are just floating on top and the sides and not going into the side skimmers. Also my side suction floor cleaner thingy is not moving. Maybe there is no flow?

Can you guys tell me what I should be doing? Should I just stick with the Hayward C4025 and just buy 4 new filters? Its only $260 for all four (pool guy wanted to charge me $480!)

I've attached some pics.
View attachment 58563

Hi Ben,

There is no filter that is better for saltwater than it is for non-salt pools...

So it appears you have a cartridge filter. For reference, I run my pump at 1,200 RPM and my filter pressure is about 1 or 2 PSI with a cartridge filter.

Do you know the size of your currently filter? I can't tell by the picture.

If me, I'd look at the current cartridges and see what they look like. It should be pretty obvious if they need to be replaced or not.

I've got to run to a doctor's appointment this morning, but will try to catch up later today.

Thanks,

Jim R.

As Jim mentioned, there are no specific salt water pool filters.

Several members here swear by the Pleatco brand replacement filters/cartridges. Here's a link to one option on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pleatco-PA106-PAK4-Replacement-Cartridge-Cartridges/dp/B002860AJA
Under $170 for all 4.

If you do decide to purchase through Amazon, consider using Amazon Smile - AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives. - and designating "TroubleFreePool" (all one word) as your charitable organization. A small portion of your purchase price will then go to TFP to help cover website hosting costs.

I am reading between the lines a bit but a different filter will not fix your pool. Your pool is laden with algae and debris and your filter is clogged. If you clean it or get a new one, it will become clogged again.

Your pool needs sanitizing and cleaning. Can you post some test results so we can help determine the best way for you to begin?

Just installed the pleatco filers, thanks for the Amazon link. Love 2 day shipping :) 1/3rd the price of pool guy. (in dumping him tomorrow btw, guy is a crook)

Now my pressure is at 18 or so and everything is working back to normal. Old filters were a mess.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully if I clean these 2 times a year they should last a few years, right?

If you have algae and debris, even the new cartridges will clog up quickly. You should clean the complete filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure - which means at a max of 22-23 psi.

How are you chlorinating your water?
How are you testing? What test kit do you have?
How does your water look?

Please post a full set of test results.
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Water Temp
Salt (if you have a SWCG)

Also, fill out your signature as described here (include test kit info as well): Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Ben,

If the water is clear and nothing is growing in the pool, then cleaning the filters two or thee times a year is certainly possible.

But... (There is always a but, isn't there... ) What Dave S. was trying to say is that often, the reason filters fill up so often is that they are just doing there job of removing all the bad stuff from your pool.

If you find that in a week or so, that your filter pressure is starting to climb back towards 30, it will most likely be because there is something growing in your pool.

When you say your old filters were a mess, did you mean that they were dirty and covered in a layer of gray green "wet dust"... or did you mean they were collapsed or had their bands broken?

Since this is a new-to-you-pool, it never hurts to start off with new cartridges just so you know what your clean filter pressure is supposed to be.

You don't need no stinking "pool guy" -- you've got us... :cool:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!

Yeah, water is clear, doesn't appear that anything is growing. I'll keep you posted on my pressure readings over the next few weeks. I think my pool guy lied to me. Said he cleaned the filters a few weeks ago, but it appears he never did. After some fighting he only charged me $95 for one cleaning. Basically that was worthless too since the guy who cleaned it told me I needed new filters and today when they arrived I basically threw away the ones he just cleaned, but they were just not in great shape. Nothing growing on them thankfully.

Overall I spent $170 x 4 months + $95 pool school + $95 filter cleaning. At least I'm getting out soon, rather than having him continue to rip me off. As you say, my zip code is really hurting me :)

Now, I gotta find a good place to buy that Dolphin Robot. I will look up the new models and see if I can get a good online store to buy from. Hopefully installation isn't too bad on these. I'm waiting for the Intellicenter to come out and when it does I will buy it all together.

I'm doing this on my own now since I gave my pool crook the boot, I'm going to go buy some testing stuff and chemicals. I'll start reading the basics first.

Thanks again! View attachment 58652

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 58653New filters :)

Do yourself a favor and do NOT just "go buy some testing stuff ...". Get one of the recommended testkits - either the K2006c or TF -100.

Personally, I prefer the TF-100 from TFTestkits - TFTestkits.net
It contains more of the reagents we use most. The reagents are always fresh and their customer service is great. If you can swing it, add the SpeedStir - it will make testing easier and more fun. If you order the TF-100 and SpeedStir ($105 for both), you also receive free shipping.

As for chemicals, a few gallons of bleach (8.25% - NOT scented or splashless) or liquid chlorine (10% or 12.5%) and a gallon or two of muriatic acid (31.45%) should hold you over until your testkit arrives. Of course, you will need to know how much to put in - so have a look at Pool Math - and ask questions first if you're not sure.

Ben,

As Gene says, don't buy just any test kit...

You bought the "Gold Standard" of pumps so you should also buy the Gold Standard of test kits, the TF-100 with Speed Stir.

Basically for about the same price you paid for one filter cleaning you get the best test kit around. To go with that you also get our free advice.

Of course our advice is always free, but we generally require the test data from the TF-100 (or K2006C) so that we are comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the pics..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do yourself a favor and do NOT just "go buy some testing stuff ...". Get one of the recommended testkits - either the K2006c or TF -100.

Personally, I prefer the TF-100 from TFTestkits - TFTestkits.net
It contains more of the reagents we use most. The reagents are always fresh and their customer service is great. If you can swing it, add the SpeedStir - it will make testing easier and more fun. If you order the TF-100 and SpeedStir ($105 for both), you also receive free shipping.

As for chemicals, a few gallons of bleach (8.25% - NOT scented or splashless) or liquid chlorine (10% or 12.5%) and a gallon or two of muriatic acid (31.45%) should hold you over until your testkit arrives. Of course, you will need to know how much to put in - so have a look at Pool Math - and ask questions first if you're not sure.

Thank you! I'm buying the TF-100 and SpeedStir right now!

Great choice!

While you're waiting for it to arrive, please fill out your signature with your pool information. Have a look at my signature or other members for what to include. Also, here's a page to help: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Once we know how many gallons your pool is, we can give you an estimate on how much chlorine/bleach to add daily while you are waiting on your TF-100.

I am no expert but I have the Pentair automation, intelliflo pump and the Hayward filter. The automation is pricy but worth every penny and makes running a pool so much easier. Keep reading TFP and you will have complete confidence that there is no problem you can't handle and the people here know what they are doing. You also know they are not motivated by profit in any way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.