Cloudy Water Indoor Pool

Aug 8, 2015
Jeffeson, MA
I have a commercial, indoor, 24,000 gallon, heated, gunite pool in Massachusetts. The past several days we have been having cloudy water with a green tint to it and can't seem to fix it. It started with one of my employees forgetting to shock when the levels were very low (around 1ppm) of FC and since then we have shocked 2-3 times with our normal sodium hypochlorite shock (bringing it up over 9ppm a few times) and I have been leaving it uncovered to help and it does not seem to be changing. All of our other readings remain normal. We sanitize with bromine via an inline automatic brominator. The chlorine/bromine levels seem to be dropping faster than usual as well. I am just giving you the chlorine numbers from this morning as I am not in front of the testing kit so I can't see the bromine equivalent, but they have all been in range. The FC levels were at 4 last night and have since dropped down to 3 this morning. I have used clarifier several times over the past several days and it does not seem to be helping either. We do have a high bather load daily so I tend to run my numbers slightly higher than 3ppm FC and 4-6ppm bromine, but it is like that all the time and usually the water is crystal clear by keeping all the levels in range and shocking 1-2 times weekly. We use the forum recommended taylor testing kit as well. I thought at one point it may have been my filter or circulation but our turnover rate is about 4.5 hours and that has not changed either. I also checked the brominator to see if it was blocked, but it appears to be working fine as well. Any help on what could be causing it and why it seems I am going through so much chlorine/bromine lately would be helpful?

FC = 3
CC = .2
TC = 3.2
pH = 7.6
TA = 100
CH = 220
CYA = 0 (code in MA for indoors)

24,000 gallon indoor gunite pool
hayward 500lb high-rate sand filter
hayward VAS pump

You said it got low after not Chlorinating for a while, correct? And its cloudy to boot. I would say yes, based on these circumstances, coupled with sunlight, and heavy bather load.

The Answer is killing the Algae with Elevated Sanitizer, and stop using the clarifiers now. They dont always work, and can make the cloudiness worse as well.

We suggest a SLAM to kill Algae, but this is a bit different being occupied and regulated. Let us know if you can shut this down for a short time, and others will weigh in as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.