Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stinky cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Stinky cloudy water

Hi, a couple of weeks ago I put the winter cover on the pool. It's a black vinyl cover that doesn't allow light or water through. The other day we had a few warm days and when I checked the water it was cloudy and putrid smelling (like rotting fruit). Could this be algae even though no light can penitrate? I threw in a heap of liquid chlorine and the smell is gone but still cloudy. I'm just really puzzled at what could have caused the smell and cloudiness when no light can get to the water.
    7400 gal (28000L), I/g fibreglass, 0.75 hp pump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stinky cloudy water

Possibly. You could have been on the edge or at the beginning of an Algae Bloom, or had other organics in the pool you were unaware of. This is why we suggest maintaining the pool as always, and closing as late as possible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeh if you want to close a pool, there's specific procedures for that. I'm not familiar myself because we keep the pools open over here. You can search the forums on pool closing, but you want to have the pool clean and cold before you do it.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

Over where needs?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh whoops, not a good reference for a global website!!

Sydney is on the east side of Australia, South Australia is at the southern middle, so my "over here" is probably roughly like the Carolinas would be relative to middle of America, kinda.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners