Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 70 MPH Winds in Vegas, cleaned my filters two weeks ago and TONS of dirt in my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

70 MPH Winds in Vegas, cleaned my filters two weeks ago and TONS of dirt in my pool

Any suggestions on how to get all this dirt in my pool up but not in my filter, I just cleaned the dang thing. By far the most dirt that's ever in my pool. Looks like the entire desert blew into my pool.

I have a side vac cleaner with a leave canister, have hairnets that I use in my skimmers, could I put a couple at the bottom of the canister net-pocket to catch the dirt and watch closely and empty when I see it getting full?

My pool is a disaster. Wonder how the backyards look of the guys who are doing pools in Vegas right now. Can't be pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions on keeping this junk out of my filter.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Maytronics Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 70 MPH Winds in Vegas, cleaned my filters two weeks ago and TONS of dirt in my po

My robot does a fantastic job of getting all the dirt out of the pool, and we have had a TON! I highly recommend it- Doheny's Discovery
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 70 MPH Winds in Vegas, cleaned my filters two weeks ago and TONS of dirt in my po

Yea as soon as my side vac cleaner dies that's my replacement. Love that it doesn't go into filter.

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Maytronics Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

70 MPH Winds in Vegas, cleaned my filters two weeks ago and TONS of dirt in my pool

Hi Q I I understand I just cleaned my filters this past weekend. This is the most sand I have seen my pool. What a mess this is, I'm in the NW and the wind has made a huge mess .what is a hair net for the pool? I would like to know how to get rid of all the dirt too.

Built 9/2016 -10k pool, IG Concrete pool/spa - travertine coping/deck - All Pentair Equipment - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter-Master Heater 400,000- Pump Intelliflo vst - color plaster - rebel cleaner- Auto -tablet-Chlorinator -Screen logic connect- variable pump - Test Kit Taylor 100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well Quing as you know I'm building and my backyard is a MESS!!!! The trenched have been backfilled , there is huge rocks in my dig, and my drippers started acting up. I was bothered today to say the least about these crazy winds out of no where lol

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

6. Back To Top    #6

Bad storms in West Texas this week, and I understand dirt. I've been a broken record on this forum extolling the virtues of a robot and this a large reason why. Same goes for cart filters here too (for me) I'd have the blasted things out all the time cleaning the dirt out of them. I'm sorry to say, I have no good answer. They do make something called a Cyclone pre filter, which is a dirt trap just at the head of your pump strictly for dirt/dust/sand. Can't attest to their performance, but their industrial counterparts work like a champ.

I can just imagine the panic calls flooding into LV pool services this week.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I tell all new O/B spend the extra bucks up front and get a robot. Just waiting for my suction cleaner to die so I can upgrade.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dcvegas View Post
    Hi Q I I understand I just cleaned my filters this past weekend. This is the most sand I have seen my pool. What a mess this is, I'm in the NW and the wind has made a huge mess .what is a hair net for the pool? I would like to know how to get rid of all the dirt too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DC, I use hair nets in my skimmers vs. skimmer socks. Much cheaper, I pay something like $10 for 500 on Amazon. Keeps debris out of my filter. Toss them once a week.

I'm sort of in the NW, Sheep Mountian.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    DC, I use hair nets in my skimmers vs. skimmer socks. Much cheaper, I pay something like $10 for 500 on Amazon. Keeps debris out of my filter. Toss them once a week.
    I do that as well, one of the great tips I got from reading the forum here. Interesting to see what the hair net captures each week (it also helps with keeping my filter running clean longer).
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

10. Back To Top    #10

I wasn't aware you can use hair nets on the skimmer basket. I looked on Amazon and I didn't see the bundle you got Q. Sounds like you are on my side of town. If you have any more great tips please let me know... My pool is starting to look like a pool again, it looked very muddy and awful.
    Built 9/2016 -10k pool, IG Concrete pool/spa - travertine coping/deck - All Pentair Equipment - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter-Master Heater 400,000- Pump Intelliflo vst - color plaster - rebel cleaner- Auto -tablet-Chlorinator -Screen logic connect- variable pump - Test Kit Taylor 100.

11. Back To Top    #11

I get a lot of mileage out of the actual pool basket filters made for the purpose. Way more than I think they are intended for, but its easy to clean them in place, and right back in.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

@dcvegas - I looked-up the last time I ordered them and here's what I buy. If you want to try some before you buy them just let me know and I'll give you a couple to try. I like these because I just pull it out, throw it away and put another one in. Easy peasy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I combined three and I'm going to go put them in my vac. canister and se how they do on catching the dirt prior to it hitting my filter. Will this wind ever stop?!?!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you Q, I will order a couple boxes, that will last me a long time. Do you put them over your skimmer basket? What do you mean you are going to put them in your vacuum, is that the cleaner that goes around your pool? The wind seems to have calmed down, finally. My yard was a disaster, my windows are full of dirt. I never seen the winds get that high in speed, and I have been in Vegas for a long time now. My pool water is looking better, not sure what my freshly cleaned filters look like. I cleaned for the first time, it took me 6 hours to clean them, and it was very difficult getting that bolt of and on. I

14. Back To Top    #14

Almost there, had to empty canister 4 times. Filter pressure hasnt budged so I'm thinking I avoided having to clean immediately.

15. Back To Top    #15

Your pool looks great after that wind storm. My water looked muddy too , it is starting to clear up. I had to rinse everything off in the yard.