Got my test kit and results! Now what?

Mar 21, 2017
Duncan, Oklhoma
I'm new to this. Got my Taylor k 2006 test in today and I'm ready to cure my nasty pool. I have a 6k gallon metal frame Coleman pool with a sandfilter. Can y'all help me with what I should do next and what products/how much to use? Thanks!

Cya 80
Cc .8
Ch 7.6
Ta 200
Ch 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your PH? Lets get your tests in order:

FC
CC
PH (oh wait is that the 7.6?)
TA
CH-does not really matter with a vinyl pool
CYA

With your CYA being 80 I would drain and replace some water. That will take quite a bit of FC to overcome. Have you played with Pool Math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I would like to see your CYA down to 30. Play with Pool Math and see what it says about how much to remove and replace to lower the CYA to 30.

I would also test your fill water to see what you have to work with. That will help you know what you need on hand to get your water balanced when you are done with the SLAM.

GREAT job getting the test kit!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

It wasn't newly filled. It was a bout half full and the water was almost black. I added water to fill it up. I added a gallon of bleach last week but I didn't really know what I was doing then. And I was dumb enough to trust the pool store test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, if your CYA is still that high after replacing half the water, it must have been really high before.

Unless you have a SWG, your SLAM would be easier if you replaced half the water again.

Thank you so much for redoing your test and putting them in the order we are used to :hug:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Here ^^^^^ is the FC/CYA chart. It tells me you will need to MAINTAIN a FC of 31!!! :shock: with a CYA of 80 when you SLAM the pool.

It can be done BUT that is a LOT of chlorine. I will let you do the math. Which will end up being cheaper? Water or chlorine?

Let us know what you decide to do and we will support you and get your pool clear!

I'm so confused! I'm sorry I'm really new to this, so all of these numbers and abbreviations are confusing me. So I need to add more bleach to lower my cya? How do I determine how much?

No - the bleach / chlorine is used to kill algae but it's effectiveness is determined by your CYA level so with a high level (80) you will need a much higher chlorine level to kill the algae. Think of CYA as an insulator that only lets a certain amount of chlorine out to kill the algae. If you have lots of insulation then less of the chlorine makes it out to kill algae so you need to have a much higher level. By draining and adding new water (the only way to reduce CYA) you can run with a much lower chlorine level.

Ships! That is a awesome way of saying it! THANKS!

Mkla, You can test the water coming out of the hose! We call that the fill water. That will tell us what you need to have on hand when it gets full. BUT don't bother testing the CYA as it has to be added so the fill water will not have any in it.

Here is some *light* reading to help you learn what the letters and such mean:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

So I drained half of the pool and refilled and these were my results

FC 1
CC 1
PH 7.6
TA 160
CYA 45

I then added 87oz of liquid chlorine to raise my FC and tested 1 day later. Water color did not turn pink this time when I went to measure FC. Temp had been 65-70 degrees and the liquid chlorine was just bought a week ago. What the heck is wrong with my pool?!

The fc was used up. Nothing wrong just st keep adding bleach until the fc holds. If your water was black it may take a good bit to start killing enough algae to overcome the bloom.
Say you have a million algae. You keep kill 1/2, but use up all the fc to do it. The other will reproduce in a few hours and you're in the same spot. You gotta keep adding fc until you start winning, then maintain it til all algae kill d

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.