Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Order of events,green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Order of events,green pool

My new pool has had water sitting in it x1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully electricity will be hooked up today. Pic shows its condition.
    I would think the first thing I would want to do is get some chlorine and CYA in it, yes???
    I know there is small to medium rocks and junk on the bottom from the construction. Scoop them out??? I don't want my pump damaged.
    Should I wait until the pool starts to clear up before I even bother putting the salt in???

Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Order of events,green pool

Hi, Lynn,

Yeah, that's a pretty good plan. Manually get out everything you can from the pool bottom and then with the pump running 24/7 start loading the chlorine into it.

You can put the CYA in simultaneously but remember, it takes a few days (up to a week) for it to register on the test so calculate accurately and be confident you have put it in there. You'll need to backwash a lot so don't put CYA in the skimmer. Tie it up in a sock or something and hang it in front of a return or put the sock in the skimmer.

For the first two days or so, I wopuld dose up to 10-12ppm chlorine each evening and then bring it back up to 10-12ppm early each morning. I would not add any during the day until the CYA gets effective in a few days.

All this is covered in Pool School in "How to Shock your Pool"

If you miss a few rocks. they'll stay on the bottome 'til your pool clears and you can get them out.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave. That was my exact plan. Guess I've retained some of what I've been reading the past 6 mos. It would be nice if I could see what's in the bottom
    I will be off Friday. Should I try to keep the FC at shock level all that day?
    I also got the PB to give me an extra set of filters due to the mess, but if I swap them out I guess I could lose some of my CYA
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

My tap water TA is 60 and CH 110. I suppose I shouldn't fret over this for now??? I can assume that hasn't changed while sitting in the pool for almost 2 wks.
    Lynn

5. Back To Top    #5

yeah, but you've got all that crud fallen in the pool, no telling what has happened; go test the pool water (pH, TA, CH). We can assume CYA and chlorine is zero.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Test results
    TA 60
    CH 80
    pH 9 maybe higher Why?????

Now what??
    Electrician called. Won't be here till tomorrow
    Lynn

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Should I try to keep the FC at shock level all that day?
    I also got the PB to give me an extra set of filters due to the mess, but if I swap them out I guess I could lose some of my CYA
    Yeah, put the CYA in just as soon as you get the water curculating and then bring the pool up to the shock value for the CYA you calculated.

You won't lose much CYA if you put it in a sock.....not the skimmer.

How did you get pH 9? Tests for pools don't normally go that high.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you already put chlorine in? If so then we can't trust the pH; I thought you hadn't started yet.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

No chlorine or anything else. Pumps aren't hooked up till tomorrow.
    Lynn

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

How did you get pH 9? Tests for pools don't normally go that high.
    I have a fish tank test kit for high pH. Goes to 9 which is dark blue color on the chart. My pool water turned dark purple.
    Lynn

11. Back To Top    #11

Lynn, do you have a way to circulate the water, like a submersible pump or anything?

Maybe you can rent one for the day?

You can't trust water tests from stagnant water, you need to circulate it first. IF the PH is above 7.8 you really need to lower it with Muratic Acid. But you don't want to add it if you can't circulate it.

If you had a submersible pump, you could do acid and wait an hour and do bleach, get to killing the algae....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

FPMom,
    Could I dilute the acid in a bucket and put it in there and stir awhile with a boat paddle?? Electrician was suppose to be here today, but promised he would be here in the morning
    Lynn

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm not sure if that's safe, I'd hate to have your new pool be damaged somehow....besides we don't know if the PH is really 9, since the water is not circulating before testing.

Ya know what, I don't think the risk of scale is that great right now since it's only been a week and a half and the CH level is low. If you get your pump going by tomorrow you should be ok.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks FPMom
    Lynn