Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build in Arizona

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in Arizona

Started our pool build 10 weeks ago in Arizona. Miss this grass already. It's been stressful, wish I would've known about this site prior to dig, but we're excited to spend the hot summer months in the water.

In-ground Arizona free-form pool; 35 ft x 16 ft; depth: 3 ft / 5.5 ft / 8.5 ft; 22,985 gallons; 15-inch Baja step, approximately 8x11 feet; Kona Blue Pebble Radiance finish; Walnut travertine; Autumn Leaves stacked stone; in-floor cleaning system. Build start: 2/2017. My pool pics: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ild-in-Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in Arizona

What I love about the pool: Baja step, 2 benches in deep end, water feature for kids to jump off, deep end, travertine decking, 2 multi-color pool lights.

Regrets: 1) Would like darker travertine. We chose travertine from pool company. Should have gone to a tile store, with more selection, brought travertine pieces home, and placed in backyard to see what looks best. (Also, this light travertine color is bright in the sunlight.) Choosing our own travertine contractor, instead of paying pool builder, would probably have been less expensive. 2) Should be a larger shallow end, including a long bench, connected to Baja step.

I realize I can’t dwell on this. What's done is done. Kids will enjoy pool, and likely nobody else will notice my complaints.

Something to think about: we have the in-floor cleaning system...so there are holes all over the bottom of pool, and steps. Pool company is coming this week to place grey caps on the holes...it might be an eyesore for some of you out there. I'm still not sure about it. Pool builder didn't mention that when we signed up for it...
    In-ground Arizona free-form pool; 35 ft x 16 ft; depth: 3 ft / 5.5 ft / 8.5 ft; 22,985 gallons; 15-inch Baja step, approximately 8x11 feet; Kona Blue Pebble Radiance finish; Walnut travertine; Autumn Leaves stacked stone; in-floor cleaning system. Build start: 2/2017. My pool pics: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ild-in-Arizona

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks great! What kind of finish did you choose? We want details!
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

4. Back To Top    #4

Finish is called Kona Blue Pebble Radiance.

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks beautiful!! Also, I really like your choices! A benefit of light travertine is that it stays cooler underfoot than the darker colors. And too shallow = less swimming space.
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

6. Back To Top    #6

Love your design!
    What are the dimensions and depth of your Baja step?
    I'm waiting on my permits now. I'm in AZ too, the east valley - near Queen Creek.

Under Construction In-ground Freeform 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter, EasyTouch w/IC40, Baja Mini Pebble interior - Sky Blue, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. Baja step is 15 inches deep, and approximately 8x11 feet.

8. Back To Top    #8

Katie, you'll be loving that lighter travertine come summer. Trust me. Once it weathers a bit it won't be bright. Silver and linen travertine can get bright, but yours looks like a light noche which will be fine in the sun. SMILE it's gorgeous!
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

We have travertine and love it. We went to an outdoor showroom of several travertine colors. In the hot July sun, there was a noticeable difference on the bare feet between the light and darker travertines. We went with a light noche mixed with classic (very light) colors. It is great around the pool when the sun is scorching. It does get warm on the hottest of days but not sizzling hopping hot. And it's amazing how quickly it cools off when shade hits it. Our concrete driveway stays hot in the shade.

I waited to seal ours to decide if I wanted an enhancer or not. The test for that is to see how you like the travertine wet. Water brings out the patterns and colors. We just sealed and enhanced it ourselves. We love it. It's a shade darker - hoping it won't be noticeably hotter. Sealing it was far easier than I expected.

I really think you'll grow to love it! I hope so. Your pool looks fabulous! We also have a deep end and love it! I can't wait to see it with water!
    Take care,
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Katie, you'll be loving that lighter travertine come summer. Trust me. Once it weathers a bit it won't be bright. Silver and linen travertine can get bright, but yours looks like a light noche which will be fine in the sun. SMILE it's gorgeous!
    So, I'm assuming you don't think the travertine is slippery?? That is really my only concern.

Under Construction In-ground Freeform 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter, EasyTouch w/IC40, Baja Mini Pebble interior - Sky Blue, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by katierose View Post
    Finish is called Kona Blue Pebble Radiance.
    Who makes the finish??

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Azsunsets View Post
    So, I'm assuming you don't think the travertine is slippery?? That is really my only concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My travertine is tumbled and unsealed and is definitely NOT slippery.
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

13. Back To Top    #13

Hmmmm - do you have SWG? What color is yours & would you do the same color again? Silver seems to be the rage right now!

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmmmm - do you have SWG? What color is yours & would you do the same color again? Silver seems to be the rage right now!

Silver is beautiful but it can be bright in the Az sun. I have a SWG. The travertine I have is called Noche, but it seems to be a lighter blend. My PB doesn't use Mexican travertine as he claims it is a softer stone.

15. Back To Top    #15

Okay, thanks. I will do more research on it - I love the way it looks.

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool was finished filling with water at 4 a.m. this morning. Pool builder is coming Monday with the start-up kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

We purchased from our pool builder, it was on display there...

Who makes the finish??

18. Back To Top    #18

It looks amazing! Love it. My cousin has the in-floor cleaning system and loves it, I think it will be great. I didn't even notice the 'holes' when I saw their pool, so no, not an eyesore. Our Polaris on the other hand...lol
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

19. Back To Top    #19

Beautiful pool I have an A&A in-floor cleaning system in Arizona as well. I LOVE it, makes pool maintenance a breeze. I never have to sweep except for the odd spot every few months that gathers heavier debris that can't get pushed to the drain. No one cares about the pop ups either, as they stay down and flat while people swim. A lot of people say not to go in floor cleaning, but I think it can work depending on your circumstances. Living in a climate with only very light debris and some dust is much easier for the system to work in vs a place with heavy leaf downfall and freezing temps. My 2 cents! Grats on the pool!
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by katierose View Post
    Thank you. Baja step is 15 inches deep, and approximately 8x11 feet.
    I added a bench off my Baja step - partly because you mentioned it in your post. I had a shallow one planned at the beginning, and removed it, then added a normal depth one last minute when they were putting the steel in! Thanks for giving me a nudge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast