Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool/Spa Gas Heater Gas Line Pipes Rusting! How Concerned should I be?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool/Spa Gas Heater Gas Line Pipes Rusting! How Concerned should I be?

The gas line pipes to our pool/spa gas heater are rusting. The heater and pool are less than two years old. They started rusting fairly soon after installation and I should have called the company sooner, but we've had other issues, and this got put on the back burner so to speak.

It seems to me of all the pipes that should not rust are ones carrying natural gas. Did my installer use the wrong type of pipes or should he have painted them? Seems crazy that within a few months of installation they started rusting. How concerned should I be? Having so many issues on my plate now, don't know if I should get some rustoleum type paint and paint the pipes and hope for the best or is this something the contractor should rectify? Our state requires that contractors stand behind their work for two years so they are still under warranty so to speak, but I only have a couple months left.

Here's a picture of the rusting gas pipes. Having trouble attaching photos so hope this works.

Last edited by Millty; 03-30-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fix photo link
    25'x37' L shaped: 4' play pool and 8.5' deep end, w/7x11 spa, 26k gallon, gunite w/plaster quartz, travertine coping, IntellifoVS x2, C&C Plus 520 cart filter, inline leaf trap, IC40 swcg, IntelliPH, IntelliTouch auto w/screen logic, MstrTmp 400k heat pump, 2 Intellibrite LEDs & 1 globrite, 3 sheers, 3 baja bubblers, 1 telescoping spa bubbler, 2 Venturi skimmers, TK-2600 kit. Built 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool/Spa Gas Heater Gas Line Pipes Rusting! How Concerned should I be?

He use galvanized steel which is exactly the right thing to use. The parts that have rust are the threads where the galvanized coating has was disturbed when the threads were cut. I would say that rust is minor but if you are concerned a quick coat of paint will solve your problems. The best thing to use there is cold galvanizing spray paint. It will recoat the pipe in zinc and stop the rust and never peal off. Next best is Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer followed by a top coat. Rust-Oleum will start to peal after a few years because galvanized steel doesn't like being painted​.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent, thanks. So glad it is something we can handle and don't have to call another contractor to try and get an issue fixed.
    25'x37' L shaped: 4' play pool and 8.5' deep end, w/7x11 spa, 26k gallon, gunite w/plaster quartz, travertine coping, IntellifoVS x2, C&C Plus 520 cart filter, inline leaf trap, IC40 swcg, IntelliPH, IntelliTouch auto w/screen logic, MstrTmp 400k heat pump, 2 Intellibrite LEDs & 1 globrite, 3 sheers, 3 baja bubblers, 1 telescoping spa bubbler, 2 Venturi skimmers, TK-2600 kit. Built 2015.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I've replaced rusted thru galvanized pipe that has been installed for over 10 years. It takes a long time for the pipes to rust thru. What you are seeing is surface rust and although you might feel it's unsightly, it is normal.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Not 100% on this but I do believe gas line is supposed to be black iron pipe not galvanized. I know here in Missouri no one will plumb gas line with galvanized. Maybe it is just a local thing.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

The NFPA allows for the use of black iron or hot dipped galvanized steel pipe. Local codes will dictate further what is allowed to be used to best suit the local environment. Local codes will also differ on what is allowed to be used inside a residential dwelling and how it needs to be labeled.

There is anecdotal argument against galvanized pipe which says it will slough off coating on the inside of the pipe and lead to valve/regulator issues. A simple drip leg, which is seen in this installation, will solve this issue. Another argument is that galvanized pipe is more expensive and there is not guarantee it will last longer than regular black iron pipe in a lot of cases. So there is also economic incentive not to use it.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help