Lots of leaves! Add more skimmers??

Sep 5, 2016
New tripoli, PA
I'm starting the dig for my pool soon. It will be close to some huge oak trees that love to drop pollen in spring and insane amount of leaves in fall. Ideally I'll close the pool before the bulk of the leaves fall each year.

Is there anything I should consider adding to help with the extra debris??

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Haha, I'm pretty sure the auto cover is out of my price range. Those are several thousand, correct?

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

We have lots of trees, pics in Pool thread, link in sig. During spring and fall we run the Intelliflo VS pump 24x7 to keep debris skimmed and off the bottom. The pump runs at 1100 rpm and uses 150 watts. At 10.25c/kWh it cost 12 bucks per month to run the pump 24x7. Also, the Doheny's Discovery Robot helps a lot. And get a good leaf rake for the ridiculous days.

Should I bother adding more skimmers?? Would that make a noticeable difference ?

No, not really. One that is downwind in spring and one downwind in fall. Typically, only one will fill up at a time unless the wind dies down or changes direction.

No, not really. One that is downwind in spring and one downwind in fall. Typically, only one will fill up at a time unless the wind dies down or changes direction.

I totally agree, one up wind, one down wind, that is what I have. BUT when my pool was built ( freeform ) there is one curved section that seems to hold all the leaves, wish I had put a third skimmer at that spot. Talk to your PB and see if you have any areas of concern that might not skim all the way

My experience has been that placement is key. If one of my skimmers was four feet further one way, things would be very different on that end of the pool. But, we guessed as best we could and missed, so this isn't always easy to get right.

More than three except in a very large pool would be diminishing returns for you,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.