Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of leaves! Add more skimmers??

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of leaves! Add more skimmers??

I'm starting the dig for my pool soon. It will be close to some huge oak trees that love to drop pollen in spring and insane amount of leaves in fall. Ideally I'll close the pool before the bulk of the leaves fall each year.

Is there anything I should consider adding to help with the extra debris??

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )
    My Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of leaves! Add more skimmers??

Oak trees are beautiful. Work harder.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How much ya wanna spend? An auto-cover makes a nice leaf deterrent.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

Haha, I'm pretty sure the auto cover is out of my price range. Those are several thousand, correct?

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )
    My Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete deck

5. Back To Top    #5

We have lots of trees, pics in Pool thread, link in sig. During spring and fall we run the Intelliflo VS pump 24x7 to keep debris skimmed and off the bottom. The pump runs at 1100 rpm and uses 150 watts. At 10.25c/kWh it cost 12 bucks per month to run the pump 24x7. Also, the Doheny's Discovery Robot helps a lot. And get a good leaf rake for the ridiculous days.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Should I bother adding more skimmers?? Would that make a noticeable difference ?

7. Back To Top    #7

No, not really. One that is downwind in spring and one downwind in fall. Typically, only one will fill up at a time unless the wind dies down or changes direction.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    No, not really. One that is downwind in spring and one downwind in fall. Typically, only one will fill up at a time unless the wind dies down or changes direction.
    I totally agree, one up wind, one down wind, that is what I have. BUT when my pool was built ( freeform ) there is one curved section that seems to hold all the leaves, wish I had put a third skimmer at that spot. Talk to your PB and see if you have any areas of concern that might not skim all the way
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

9. Back To Top    #9

My experience has been that placement is key. If one of my skimmers was four feet further one way, things would be very different on that end of the pool. But, we guessed as best we could and missed, so this isn't always easy to get right.

More than three except in a very large pool would be diminishing returns for you,
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem