Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA very high?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA very high?

Hi all, just opened pool to a green swamp. Have gotten water clear through use of chlorine tabs and shock (HTH 3 in 1). Last time I tested was at the pool store (I know, before I stumbled upon you guys), and it was I think 90 which was last week. We just had 3" of rain last night too and I haven't drained any off.

Here are my numbers today with a clear pool with just dead algae and dirt on the bottom. Zero green.

FC 6.0
    CC 0.6
    PH 7.2
    TA 150
    CH 800
    CYA >100
    24,000 Gallon In-Ground Plaster
    Pentair DE 48sf Filter
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Shark Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA very high?

Hi,
    Yeah, the CYA is way too high and most likely from use of shock and chlorine tabs over a period of time. When the shock and tabs add chlorine, they also add CYA. CYA doesn't go away on it's own. It just builds and builds with each tab. As the CYA level continues to increase, that means more chlorine needs to be added to be effective at keeping the pool sanitary. After a while, it becomes either impossible or unreasonable to add the amount of chlorine needed to overcome the buffering effects of the CYA.

Unfortunately, the only way to lower the CYA is to drain water from the pool and refill.

As for the rest of the test results - yeah, you know what Im gonna say about pool store testing don't ya! ?
    If you intend on getting your CYA under control ASAP, don't worry about the rest of it until you do.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Crud, knew you were going to say that. I'm going to test again tomorrow when we have some sun as it appears that can affect the reading as well.
    Pentair DE 48sf Filter
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Shark Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

I would do the test again using equal parts pool water and tap water. Then use this water to perform the test again, but double the results. You may actually be well over 100+ on your CYA. That's gonna help you determine how much you need to drain and refill.

Yip

Oh yeah... and you need a better test kit than a pool store. Go for the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net Most comprehensive kit and will last all year and maybe into next...
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

I've got a Taylor K-2006. That will suffice won't it?
    Pentair DE 48sf Filter
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Shark Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

It'll take time but you can deal with high CYA with partial draining /filling but have patience! Get rid of the pucks and use bleach only. Might take a year but use the chart to determine FC levels appropriate to your CYA number. It'll be fine, follow the program.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    I've got a Taylor K-2006. That will suffice won't it?
    Oh yes! I thought you were getting the tests done at the pool store. Sorry!
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

That's the best! You've entered the "no-fail" zone.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit