New build in San Diego

Blmichal

Silver Supporter
Oct 1, 2016
San Diego, ca
First time pool owner and new build. My husband and I have lived in San Diego over 21 years and recently bought a new home on 2 acres but it is about 15 miles inland from the coast and much warmer than living close to the ocean. I have always wanted my own pool since I was a little girl and finally my dream is coming true. We have a pool builder and have signed docs but I have been a lurker here for a while and hoping all of you can review my proposed equipment and design and offer advice or changes if needed.

We have one son that is in college, so it is just the two of us at home that will use the pool (and 4 dogs but doubt they will swim). We have a limited area to put the pool as their is a slope behind our home and we are not interested in spending all our money on a huge retaining wall. The backyard also has a enormous waterfall koi pond that will right next to the pool so we really just want a plain well built pool. We have decided not to add a spa and will get a unattached one eventually.

Here is our specs:
Pool size 18 x 30/ depth 4ft to 7 ft
Plumbing - 2 Skimmers/ 3 returns/ 2 Drains
Coping - Poured Cantilever
1 Pentair Intellibrite5G light
Pebble Sheen finish
Pentair Intelliflo 50/160gpm Circ Pump
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear 160 gpm
Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine
Pentair Intellichem Chemical Controller
Solar 100% Coverage

I will come back and post pictures soon.

Welcome! I, myself, am a lurker here. Lots of experienced people with a lot of insight.

Your equipment seems good - it really depends on your situation and environment. The pics will help. At first blush, 3 returns seem low for a pool that size. You might also want to add a 2nd pool light, and a light for the spa. You also want a separate spa drain (not sure if you were counting that in your numbers).

You might reconsider the poured coping, and might look into some stone or tile, something that's somewhat fixable if something should happen. Intellichlor is pretty much a gold standard, though I myself don't have one, I've only heard good things.

Sounds like you will have a great pool - congratulations on realizing your dream! I'm sure many others will weigh in when they see some pics.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo

HI!!! You are going to LOVE having your own pool! TRP makes it SO easy to take care of! BUT we need to get it built first! LOL

Your pump-What model? When I did a search using the words you wrote I did not get one model. It is more generic. Is the pump you are looking at a 2 speed or Variable speed? Since you will not have any extra features you will do just fine with a 2 speed pump. You will run it on low most of the time. High is for the cleaner or to make a lazy river ride like I do in mine!

Mo, they are doing a stand alone spa later.

I would love to see where you are putting the pool. If you lay out a brightly color rope or such so we can see the outline of the pool that is also helpful!

I love the look of the poured coping. So clean and smooth looking.

I can't wait to see pics. PLEASE include the koi pond!!!

Kim:kim:

Fun pond! Anyway to really incorporate the pool/pond?

Only thought on equipment is maybe go larger on the filter? Most here suggest going bigger for less frequent cleaning. It's really a nominal upcharge, a couple hundred at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool placement 1.jpgPool placement 2.jpg
Here's a couple pics - the pond is extremely murky right now because we had someone out to vacuum some of the silt and mud out this weekend so it really stirred everything up. We also met our new neighbors that live behind us and the husband is a landscape contractor. He is going to dig into the hillside and carve out additional flat area for us. He will also place some large boulders and put in a drain to prevent any dirt or mud coming down the hill. It is going to set our start date back a little as he can't start for 2 weeks but "patience is a virtue" I've heard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Absolutely love your pond! Thanks for posting pics it really gives us a visual, have you thought about rotating the top portion of your pool 45 degrees to the left? Only reason I mention this is to give you more of a true walk way between the pool and pond. I know how fresh water fish can be temperamental at times so the last thing you want is pool water splashing in with pond water .
Your project is going to be awesome and I look forward to seeing your build

That is so pretty even with the murky water! Do you have any "show off" pictures of the pond?

Good catch Will! We all KNOW someone is going to SPLASH and pool water might end up in the fish pond.

Neat about the neighbor. Is he licensed and insured? I would make sure so him being nice does not come back to bite you. I try my best to not mix business with family, friends, or neighbors. You never know when things might go south and you have to live next door to them :( Not trying to rain on your parade but it is something to think about.

Kim:kim:

Could you have a pool waterfall plumbed from the back of the pond spilling into the pool? Sort of like side by side pond and pool waterfalls? It would be so unique to tie them together and it would really catch guests eyes. Of course like others said there would need to be enough of a buffer between them to reduce chance of mixing, I just feel the pond is begging to be part of the pool somehow.

So we ran into a snag on moving forward when our PB tried getting permits. I guess 3 years ago the former owners did some excavating and built a horse arena and a couple pipe stalls in the front of the property which is where the septic is located. A inspector drove by and asked what they were doing and if they had permits. They said they were not doing anything to the septic. The city contacted them again and asked to come back and do a formal inspection. By this time the owners had covered everything up with dirt and never responded to the requests so a "no issue of any permits" was placed on our address. We now have to hire an engineer to come out and use cameras to verify that nothing was changed on the septic. Soooo Thursday they are coming - I will be back to report the news - hopefully it's good. ��

Fun pond! Anyway to really incorporate the pool/pond?

Only thought on equipment is maybe go larger on the filter? Most here suggest going bigger for less frequent cleaning. It's really a nominal upcharge, a couple hundred at most.

I second the bigger filter.

The rendering looks great! Going to be a fun summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.