Disconnecting gas line to heater. (Rusted)

Nathanstl

Jun 28, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I've seen a similar post, and the consensus was to just cut the line. Obviously you would need to double check that the gas was off, but I wanted to include a picture and see if anyone has any advice on where I should start to disconnect this without cutting. My situation is I'm replacing this heater with the exact same unit so I want to keep as much as possible to make it easier to just swap in the new heater.
cef3d0c0ab013087cb93cc7a55bc3f23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shut off the gas. Disconnect the union assembly right at the back of the unit. Then unscrew the pipe out of the gas valve. Reinstall

Are you talking about where the crescent wrench is currently in the picture? I assume that's the union. My plumbing vocabulary isn't up to speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just removed my heater from very rusted pipes. I just put a pipe wrench on a fitting near the middle and started working it back and forth. Several joints moved... Eventually I was able to work a pipe out of a tee. I was surprised that several fittings actually tightened quite a bit in the a process. I plan to clean and re-fit everything, but mine were in worse shape than yours.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed your crescent wrench in the picture. Yes soak it with WD-40 or PB Blaster to loosen any rust that may be there. You may need to let it set over a 24 hour period after soaking the union. You may also need two larger wrenches to be able to get it loose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.