Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disconnecting gas line to heater. (Rusted)

1. Back To Top    #1

Disconnecting gas line to heater. (Rusted)

I've seen a similar post, and the consensus was to just cut the line. Obviously you would need to double check that the gas was off, but I wanted to include a picture and see if anyone has any advice on where I should start to disconnect this without cutting. My situation is I'm replacing this heater with the exact same unit so I want to keep as much as possible to make it easier to just swap in the new heater.

IG 20k Gunite Chlorine
    StaRite Max EPro 1HP Filter Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris 380, 1HP Water Feature Pump
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Disconnecting gas line to heater. (Rusted)

Shut off the gas. Disconnect the union assembly right at the back of the unit. Then unscrew the pipe out of the gas valve. Reinstall
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    Shut off the gas. Disconnect the union assembly right at the back of the unit. Then unscrew the pipe out of the gas valve. Reinstall
    Are you talking about where the crescent wrench is currently in the picture? I assume that's the union. My plumbing vocabulary isn't up to speed.

IG 20k Gunite Chlorine
    StaRite Max EPro 1HP Filter Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris 380, 1HP Water Feature Pump
    Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Nathan,

Yes, your crescent wrench is on one part of the union and you need to put a larger crescent wrench, or pipe wrench, on the larger part of the union.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just removed my heater from very rusted pipes. I just put a pipe wrench on a fitting near the middle and started working it back and forth. Several joints moved... Eventually I was able to work a pipe out of a tee. I was surprised that several fittings actually tightened quite a bit in the a process. I plan to clean and re-fit everything, but mine were in worse shape than yours.

34k gallon, 3' - 8' deep, 45' x 25' plaster free-form, in-ground spa, Hayward MaxFlo VS, Sta-Rite System 3 S8M-150, Pureline PL7703 SWG, Dual 1HP Pentair spa booster pumps, Hayward H400FDN, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Dolphin Quantum

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Sorry I missed your crescent wrench in the picture. Yes soak it with WD-40 or PB Blaster to loosen any rust that may be there. You may need to let it set over a 24 hour period after soaking the union. You may also need two larger wrenches to be able to get it loose.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics