Insulated Hot Tub Spa using Pool Equipment?

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
We're in Toronto and wondered if there was a solution to using the pool heater and pump to drive a hot tub instead of it having it's own pump and electric heater as is typical here?

Insulated shell so it is efficient in the winter and likely above ground.

In summer the water would spill to pool. In winter it would be a closed system

Just a thought that I'm interested in feedback.

Hi Van,

Not sure what that's a problem? As long as you have the appropriate valves to isolate your pool, blow out the lines, and close it for the winter, and you keep your SPA above 0C, should work. Keep in mind though, a spa is pretty small, so you will be using a large pump for a small amount of water, which will be very inefficient. You can get a freeze protector for your spa, something like that comes with various controllers, and even cheaper Intermatic timers, which will kick your pool on when the temperature drops below some preset.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo

Thanks Mo. thinking this through and I suppose a pool vs pump and a pump(s) to drive jets in a therapeutic type spa are two different beasts... aren't they?

My thoughts are based around 4 factors:
- water conservation by having spa spill into pool
- energy costs (gas vs hydro)
- speed to temp (big gas heater vs hydro)
- upfront savings by sharing equipment as opposed to independent systems.

Possibly over thinking this as always.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.