I need help with algae!

No it doesnt matter. If you see Algae anywhere, you still need to treat it as a SLAM. You will know you are done when there are no signs of Algae anymore, the water is clear, and you can pass the OCLT.

As soon as you can, you need to get the FC up to 16, and do all you can to keep it there. Keep brushing, watching the filter, and stick with the SLAM process. Doing all this will get you through it, and we can help with any questions.

::sends positive ohms to Heather as she undertakes this new challenge::: You can do it girl!

Just wait till you see how sparkly clear your water can be.

Test often, re-dose as needed to return to the SLAM level, and brush daily. Hourly testing is ideal but if you can't swing that, do as much as you can. As the algae is killed the times between dosing will extend and you'll test and find chlorine still in the pool.

Keep us posted how its going, 'k?

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Possibilities include your pool is smaller than you think, you have poor circulation and tested in a "hot" spot, you somehow ended up with much stronger bleach than you thought, testing error (before or after) or your SWG can produce 6ppm FC in an hour :) (if it's on)

It's an hour later and I'm still at 22. I turned the swg off before I started. What is a hot spot? It's possible that the pool is smaller than I think. It's an odd shape. I also had a skimmer basket that needed dumped that I did this time.

I would use 10,000 gallons for now in the pool calculator then. You can adjust over time if the math tells you different. Much better to undershoot chemicals than overshoot, especially acid.

By hotspot I meant an more highly concentrated area of chlorine. If you are pretty sure the water is mixing around well I wouldn't worry about it. For what it's worth brushing the entire pool works to be sure it is mixed.

You should add chlorine in the deep end in front of a return with the pump running when possible. Where you test shouldn't matter if the pool is properly mixed but it's best to pick one spot for consistency. You should also take the sample from a foot deep in the water, not the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.