Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me with algae!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me with algae!!

My name is Heather and I live in Paradise, TX. We have had a pool for at least 4 years and it seems like every year I struggle through with controlling the algae. I go to the pool store and spend money on algaecide, poor it in, and nothing happens most of the time. I just purchased a Tf100 test kit and I'm going to learn how to be in control of this. With some help I hope!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help me with algae!!

Welcome to TFP! I feel sorry for your algae already.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The little Paradise TX that is around Decatur, Boyd, Brideport etc...? Also, just found this website and am walking Mom (who also struggles with algae every year) through the SLAM process. We started Saturday and the water has turned the correct gray color and is slowly clearing up. You're pool will be sparkling clear in no time!!!
    22X40 31000 gallon IG. AquaBright plaster, Jandy 2hp epump, 60sqf de filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 965, jxi400 propane heater, iaqualink control, 2 Watercolor LED lights, Taylor K2006, My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Welcome to TFP! I feel sorry for your algae already.
    LOL that is a good one! A chant goes up through the land!!! Watch out algae Heather has TFP now!!!! You do not stand a chance!!!!!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome! If you go to Settings you can find a link to edit your signature. Looking forward to hearing more about your pool and your dead algea!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes! That's the Paradise. I can't wait for sparkling clean.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey there Heather, I'm so glad you found the BEST SITE FOR POOL CARE ON THE INTERNET!!! Welcome!

I would suggest you start by reading some Pool School articles--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

As you'll learn from reading, algaecide is NOT an algae killer. It is a preventative chemical only, so if you have algae already its just a waste of money. It actually is something we rarely ever recommend using.

Your head may feel like its exploding from all the new information you're going to learn, but it all starts to make sense when you see it working.

Just get that test kit, provide us with your test results and information about your pool and equipment and we'll walk you thru it all.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard