Adding a 2nd pool light

mfk0213

Gold Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
TX
I have one pool light niche at the deep end. My pool is about 35 ft long. I'm thinking about adding a 2nd pool light, possibly at the shallow end. I was wondering if anyone had done that as a DIY, or maybe assisted DIY? And if so, if you have any pointers, gotchas, advice, etc? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle to get a bit more light. I've got an Intellibrite 5G, which is bright, but not as bright as my old incandescent - which was also not really that bright (or maybe I just need better glasses!).

Thanks,
Mo

One light especially an LED in a 35 foot pool is probably not enough light.

But adding a light to a gunite pool has issues and is generally beyond the skill set of most dyi folks.

If you have a return in a good location you can add a nicheless light. You lose the return and it must be a large enough pipe and run straight back for about a foot. You may be able to use a part of the old return pipe as conduit.

Or you can drill through the pool wall and add a nicheless light or a pair of nicheless lights. But you need to be able to connect the light so that means running conduit somewhere.

Or you can do the whole enchilada and cut out some wall and add a niche. Again the conduit.

All of this means adding a conduit run back to a junction box and may require tunneling under or tearing up deck.

If you post some pictures we can give you some ideas.

Thanks Gwegan! I like the idea of using a return - that's pretty slick! I also like the idea of nicheless lights - I didn't know about those and will have to look into them. Any brand name or product you're familiar with?

I planned on tunneling under the deck - it's only about 2ft wide at the narrowest place. Running a conduit back isn't a problem - I have a guy with a trencher. My biggest concern is with the cutting of the pool shell, not having the plaster fall off around the cut, setting the niche so it doesn't become a path for a leak, etc.

Thanks,
Mo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.